PDA

View Full Version : Fired My Lrp For The First Time But Have Concerns

Pages : 1 [2]

masterblaster
03-02-2014, 06:26 AM
I dont know if that is the norm its just what I get and bump my brass back to. You should still call Hornady and savage.

No matter what way you look at it, blown primers on a new rifle using factory ammo is an issue.

UserX
03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Yea, true. Thanks

P.S.
I would like to thank everyone for their help on this issue.

Wildboarem
03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I dont know if that is the norm its just what I get and bump my brass back to. You should still call Hornady and savage.

No matter what way you look at it, blown primers on a new rifle using factory ammo is an issue.

I think userx said he is getting .003 growth in the web/case head area ( growth in diameter not length ) and this is a place you don't want the brass to grow. It sounds like out of spec chamber or excessive headspace or both. You have to be way overpressure to blow primers and an have consistent hard extraction. I would call savage asap. I think maybe hot ammo may have exacerbated the situation but may not be the main cause. I had cases blowing primers and hard extraction (vase web growth) on excessive headspace with normal pressure rounds, re-headspaced barrel problems went away. Btw one shouldn't have chunks missing from chamber.

ColColt
03-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I for one won't use Hornady ammo. I think I posted it elsewhere when someone had a problem with pressure. The box of 270 Winchester brass I have for their 130 gr SST ammo has a MV of 3200 fps. That's a good 150 fps more than any other factory ammo I've seen to include Federal's Fusion and Winchester's Power Point ammo with the same bullet weight. Hornady's ammo crated cratering in one rifle and flattened primers in another.

My usual load for those two rifles and that bullet range from 58.5-60 gr of H4831 and regardless the primer used, none looked like they did with Hornady's ammo.

UserX
03-03-2014, 01:14 AM
I think userx said he is getting .003 growth in the web/case head area ( growth in diameter not length ) and this is a place you don't want the brass to grow. It sounds like out of spec chamber or excessive headspace or both. You have to be way overpressure to blow primers and an have consistent hard extraction. I would call savage asap. I think maybe hot ammo may have exacerbated the situation but may not be the main cause. I had cases blowing primers and hard extraction (vase web growth) on excessive headspace with normal pressure rounds, re-headspaced barrel problems went away. Btw one shouldn't have chunks missing from chamber.

That is precisely what I was trying to say, I am getting .003" growth in diameter of the head/webbing. I have opened a ticket with Savage and will give them a call in the AM. I will also give Hornady a call as I have a feeling that you are correct and the problem is compounded by hot ammo. The chips in the chamber have me even more concerned because I have never seen this with any of my firearms.

Thanks again everyone I will post back with the resolution.

UserX
03-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I opened a ticket with Savage and sent an email to Joe DeGrande after finding the chips at the mouth of the chamber. First, I want to let everyone know that Joe is no longer the Director Of Customer Service.

Despite Joe DeGrande not being the Director Of Customer Service he gave me a call to let me know that he is going to take care of me. After reading my email and seeing the problems throughout the process of getting my rifle and accessories functional, he felt that he would take this under his wing and get it fixed right. He ensured me that the rifle will be passed to their Master Gunsmith to be evaluated and fixed. After the fix is completed they are going to test fire the rifle and send me the spent casings, also they are going to target the rifle and send me the target.

I am extremely impressed with the service that I am receiving from Savage Arms. This is what I consider to be above and beyond the call of duty. Like RifleworX over at the 65creedmoor forums, savage was taken the time to take care of me and I am greatly appreciative of RifleworX and Savage for going the extra mile.

Bravo to Savage, they have earned a customer for life.

03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Bravo to Savage, they have earned a customer for life.

Not to ding Savage – I think it's great that they seem to be paying very close attention to this – but I think they owe you that much and more if, in fact, you have a new rifle with chunks out of the side of the chamber.

Please keep us posted on how it goes and good luck.

UserX
03-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Not to ding Savage – I think it's great that they seem to be paying very close attention to this – but I think they owe you that much and more if, in fact, you have a new rifle with chunks out of the side of the chamber.

Please keep us posted on how it goes and good luck.

I agree, I am happy they took care of it immediately and took steps to ensure that I get a function tested and accurate rifle. UPS picked it up a couple hours ago. I'll post back when updated.

limige
03-06-2014, 03:25 AM
Fyi
But if you did some reading on 65creedmoor.com you'll see hornandy has changed powders on us and some guys like yourself are having pressure issues. The problem is the ammo sorry to say. 120 gr should be better last I knew they were loaded with varget.

Sad hornandy has done this to us. The old stuff was awesome ... I would really like to know the true story of what is happening in the powder and ammo manufacturers

Savage will take care of you keep us updated.

UserX
03-06-2014, 03:45 AM
Fyi
But if you did some reading on 65creedmoor.com you'll see hornandy has changed powders on us and some guys like yourself are having pressure issues. The problem is the ammo sorry to say. 120 gr should be better last I knew they were loaded with varget.

Sad hornandy has done this to us. The old stuff was awesome ... I would really like to know the true story of what is happening in the powder and ammo manufacturers

Savage will take care of you keep us updated.

I hear you, I spend most my forum time at 65creedmoor.com under the same user name (UserX). RifleworX over at 65creedmoor.com offered to test the ammo for me. It is a chamber issue unfortunately. The 140gr ammo is loaded hot but the chips in the chamber and hard extraction on ammo with no signs of pressure keyed me in to what was going on.

I can definitely say that Hornady needs to get back to business. They really dropped the ball on the ammo. Some of my 140gr ammo is loaded with 44.1 grains of something, definitely not H4350 and the 120gr are loaded a bit over with something that is not vagrant. Both have high pressure in my rig. After contacting Hornady about the problem they admitted to problems with accuracy and reports of high pressure on the later batches. I was told by the Hornady rep that the same 140gr ammo that was printing .5" at 100 is shooting at 1.5" on some batches. That would be enough for me as a business to consider what I am doing to my reputation. I was informed that the printed recipe on the box is a suggested load and the powder Hornady uses is of similar quality to the recipe basically the same burn rate. I figured as much and read about it here and at 65creedmoor.com but it is nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

I am not happy with Hornady that is for sure. I will stick to Copper Creek for my loaded stuff and should have my dies in soon. I still need a few misc. pieces to start reloading for the 6.5 CM but should have them shortly.

Thank you.

P.S.
I'll post back when they get a chance to inspect it.