PDA

View Full Version : Varmit Barrel

busted leg
03-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Got a classic boyds stock.Wonder if a varmit countour barrel will fit? Its a 308.

COplains
03-01-2014, 07:10 AM
If you ordered it for a sporter contour, boyds' laminates generally have enough material to take them out to a varmint without winding up with sharp edges along the forend. I'd measure it....you can get various barrel contour dimensions from a number of places, SSS, Douglas etc......then check with Boyds to verify.

Elgin
03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
You should be fine to open up the barrel channel (I would still follow COplains advice to get specs and compare).

I put a varmint contour on my Axis in a prairie hunter stock, and it works great.

Forever draggin
03-07-2014, 07:55 PM
You should be fine to open up the barrel channel (I would still follow COplains advice to get specs and compare).

I put a varmint contour on my Axis in a prairie hunter stock, and it works great.

Did you have to bore the channel out on the stock?

Elgin
03-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Yep. Took a few sockets, wrapped them in sandpaper, and started sanding until I had the channel I wanted.

It actually moves relatively quick. Then you just need to paint or stain the channel, and you're set.

Itsricmo
03-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Yep. Took a few sockets, wrapped them in sandpaper, and started sanding until I had the channel I wanted.

Don't want to get off topic but, wanted to say thanks for putting this out there! haha
I have a Medium Bull contour on back-order and wasn't quite sure how I was going to go about opening the channel up!