PDA

View Full Version : Buds Gun Store vs Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore

joesplace
03-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Ok, I’m ready to order my first rifle online but need some help. I did research and found good and bad on both Buds Gun Store and Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore but most of this was at least two years old.

I’m looking to purchase a cheap paper punch, a Savage 10 Trophy Hunter XP 223 REM W/ Scope. Seems like a decent deal for a 223 rifle that includes Savage’s adjustable AccuTrigger and a Nikon 3-9x40 scope with BDC reticle.

Sportsmans beat Buds price by $73, so does anybody have any recent experience, warnings or words of wisdom that may help me decide?

Thanks . . .

Rick_W
03-01-2014, 06:12 PM
It's been a few years since I've ordered anything from them but I've spent quite a few dollars with Bud's Gun Shop, even used their lay-a-way option a couple times, and all transactions were smooth.

Hotolds442
03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Expect a week to go by from the time you order the gun to the time Bud's ships it. I have no prior business with Sportsmans online.

EFBell
03-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I bought 4 or 5 rifles from buds over the years with no issue. Been 5 years or more since my last one though.

COplains
03-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I was at my local FFL Thursday and he had at least four guns from Bud's sitting there. One guy came in while I was there to pick up his rifle and it was one from Bud's. I didn't ask but we were yakking and he never said anything about a problem. FWIW, kb

David_4
03-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Also look at Grabagun

Texas Solo
03-01-2014, 08:38 PM
I've ordered two rifles from Bud's in the last year without issue. They do take 3-5 days to actually ship it, but they gave good service through e-mails as to the order in processing, then in shipping dept., then the tracking number.

n4ue
03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Back a couple of years ago when I lived in Ky, I bought all my guns at Bud's when MY FFL expired. I loved the place.
Since moving to Fl, I have bought several rifles from Bud's and had them sent to a very close Dealer. Excellent, is the only word I can use.....

ron

joesplace
03-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Bud's it is, thanks to all for the help!
Joe

Otony
03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Just to confirm what other have written, at our shop we receive at least two or three guns a month from Buds. The only issue is consistently slow shipping times. Seems as though they sit on orders for at least 3-5 days before shipping. Not sure why, but it annoys some of our customers who suffer from "I want it now"! :rolleyes:

Deerhunter 28
03-03-2014, 10:07 PM
I have bought 2 rifles from Bud's no problem.
I do send a check for the cash price takes a few extra days for check to clear the bank.

Rick_W
03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I have bought 2 rifles from Bud's no problem.
I do send a check for the cash price takes a few extra days for check to clear the bank.

Money Orders, bank checks, and (now) electronic check payments are processed immediately - according to their FAQs - and qulify for the cash price.

Stockrex
03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
never bought from sports... but bought many times from bud, all went fine except for one order, bud sent me a rifle which did NOT match their description on the webpage.
It is then I found out the ugly side of buds, they have a special # to call for returns/issues, had to call like 3/4 times and was on hold for 35 mins or, 1 guy took care of all the returns. They have a 100% satisfaction on their webpage, 100% my chunky you know what. I lost the shipping and shipping insurance.
These are the times I wish I had bought it with my amex and let them figure it out.
Which is my preference, I would rather buy from store no fee credit card policy.

Rick_W
03-04-2014, 11:31 AM
I would rather buy from store no fee credit card policy.

Around here, a few small stores (Mom & Pop-type specialty stores) are starting to add a surcharge, 3-5%, to use credit cards.

Violentstreak
03-04-2014, 10:09 PM
I've probably purchased 5 or 6 rifles from buds over the last several years. Whereas I've never had an issue with buds, its pretty much come to this:

Local FFL (the few fair ones) prices typically similar or a tad less than getting one online + having to pay a transfer fee (varies place to place). You pay a little more for the gun itself, but if you're talking a $50 dollar transfer fee on top of the price of the rifle, it could make a big difference. Took me a long time to find the shop I use now, and their prices are very fair, and I can keep my business local. <3 mom and pop stores.

ragsflh
03-05-2014, 06:07 AM
buy from sportsman all time.great place

Nemesis
03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Never bought from Bud's online, but know people who have done so without a problem. It's a short drive for me, so I usually just go to the store.

J.Baker
03-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I've purchased 4 or 5 guns from Bud's now, and aside from their extremely slow shipping (meaning actually getting the gun out of their shipping dept.) I've been very happy with them. I have however seen several complaints over the years from people who ordered with a CC and had their account double charged, but I've always used the online check option to get the cash discount.

joesplace
03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks all! I just ordered a Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter .223 Rem, it will suit my needs. Good luck varments!