PDA

View Full Version : 22-250 twist confusion

goodkid1
02-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Hi Guys: I'm getting whip-sawed by various sources. I'm trying figure out an issue with my Model 12, 1:12 twist 22-250. I just started reloading 36gr Barnes Varmint Grenade for ground squirrels in the NO LEAD California regions. They seem to be blowing up on me (3700fps)...at least only about 1 in 10 will actually hit the 14" paper target at 100 yards. My earlier ammo was Walmart's Remington 55gr, which at least hit the paper, but with only about a 1.40 MOA accuracy. But they have lead core, so they are a "no go" in Condor country.

The issue is this. Barnes is sending a different lot number of 36gr VG, and some 30gr pills to me as well. When I asked "what about some 50gr VG's, Barnes said they are too big for the 1:12 twist I have. Dilemma: the Remington 55gr shot at least OK, but both the JBM and Berger Stability Calculators give a stability factor UNDER 1.00 for 55gr bullets, which is a poor number. Yet I read all sorts of posts here talking about 55 grain bullets are shooting fine in their "1:12" twist rifles. Off the cuff thoughts I probably have enough of already, but any truly experienced input here would really be appreciated. I thank you in advance for any help.

Westcliffe01
03-01-2014, 12:08 AM
It is hard to believe that at 22-250MV the 50gr bullet would not stabilize in a 1:12 twist rate. You also have a 26" barrel I am assuming, with a model 12 ?

Anyway, you should try a box just in case. If they do not stabilize, take a look at Midway for their Shilen Match barrel with 1:8 twist. It has been in stock several times when I was looking. For $340 approximately, you would have the perfect barrel to shoot the long barnes bullets out of and it would also shoot VLD bullets if you ever do hunting in any neighboring states.

It seems like you have few options so long as you want to hunt in CA.

limige
03-01-2014, 12:59 AM
55 gr nosler bt stabilized great in my 1:14 twist remington.

50 gr should be ideal for a 1:12

36 is way to light imo.

Unless there's something unique with that bullet that 36 is better than 50 but I say run the 50's

bootsmcguire
03-01-2014, 01:15 AM
The OP started another thread on this in a different board, here is a link (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?33848-22-250-twist-issues-and-bullet-problems) to it. the reason it won't stabilize is the Barnes is a lead free bullet and has a much greater bearing surface than a traditional type 50gr bullet.

darkker
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Lead-free are much longer than lead cored bullets. Twist has almost nothing to do with weight, twist stabilizes length.

scope eye
03-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Lead-free are much longer than lead cored bullets. Twist has almost nothing to do with weight, twist stabilizes length.

It Is just perceived that way, due to heavier bullets tend to be longer, it is they only direction you can go to make up mass, in a designated caliber, unless they start making bullets out of tungsten or mallory metal.

Dean

darkker
03-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Copy that, Deano.
But the assumed perception, without understanding is why many are confused.
Construction and length is the key, not the weight.

Take the 22-cal bullets. The 75gr Amax is notably longer, and requires more spin than the heavier 77gr. SMK.