PDA

View Full Version : Buidling a 300 H&H

Bearguide444
02-28-2014, 02:42 PM
what action do I need to look for to build a 300 H&H? Can a 110 action work? any ideas would be great

the Ranger
02-28-2014, 03:02 PM
you need a long action, as in 110, and a magnum bolt head.

interesting choice of cartridge.

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
A 110, 111, 112, 114, or a 116 will all work for your build.

bootsmcguire
03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Any 110-116 action will work if you want a single shot. To get a repeater you need a H&H/RUM length action, or you need to modify a regular Long action to accept the larger H&H/RUM magazines.

Bearguide444
03-01-2014, 12:19 PM
If I am thinking right a H&H action might be hard to find but how hard is it to find a RUM chambered rifle for the action? I guess I dont mind a single shot but a repeater would be better

JCalhoun
03-01-2014, 12:22 PM
I think SSS still does the mods needed for a H&H build.

bootsmcguire
03-01-2014, 04:44 PM
If I am thinking right a H&H action might be hard to find but how hard is it to find a RUM chambered rifle for the action? I guess I dont mind a single shot but a repeater would be better

I have yet to personally see a H&H rifle, I have seen a couple on line for sale.

I tend to see more RUM's for sale on line and I have actually held a couple. If you can find a factory issued RUM (with the sporter barrels especially) locally, and especially from a private buyer, you can often get them for a song and a dance because guys that don't build Savages don't know or care about the action length. Often all they care about is the fact that the lighter weight RUM they are selling kicked the crap out of them when they fired it and they want no part of it after the initial "cool factor" wears off.

Often too I hear of them lingering on dealer shelves these days until a Savage enthusiast scarfs them up because the average buyer is scared off by the cost of RUM factory ammo.

I have missed a couple of deals like that for sale locally that I just heard about too late.

defoxer
03-02-2014, 04:57 AM
Easiest route would be the 116FSS in 375H&H into a 300/375 switeroony, the 375 would love to have the little brother around too!!Mag length and bolt face are ready to go....
I have neither seen any on the market, not a 375 nor a RUM around these parts (Australia)
Unless the build is for nostalgia reasons, or you've stumbled on a motherload of 300H&H factory ammo.... the Win Mag will will sub straight in for the H&H

broncbob
03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
The H&H rifles are around, I have one that I'm going to use as the base of a 338 Edge build.

The two options you have is find a factory H&H or RUM rifle and build from there, or send a normal 110 based action off to have it made into a H&H/RUM sized action. The only thing that I know of for sure that involves is opening up of the port in the bottom of the action and stretching the mag box to fit the longer OAL.

jonbearman
03-04-2014, 12:22 PM
What are you needing an H&H for exactly.

Bearguide444
03-04-2014, 07:55 PM
My grandfather had a custom 98 built from a war bring back in 300 H&H when I grew up. after he passed away while I was in the service it got sold my grandmother was nervous about guns in the house thinking somebody might try and rob her of the guns since he was a gunsmith and dealer with plenty of guns around.I tried finding it after I got home but no luck and with savages easy to work on I thought I would build one myself. I know other calibers would be better but I still have brass dies and the like to reload for it the stuff stayed in the gun garage where he worked it was basically left the it was after he passed away. So that is why the 300 H&H

defoxer
03-04-2014, 11:48 PM
thats a good enough reason to go for the 300.....without wishing to support heretical actions.... the easiest route may be to pick up a Colombian Mauser, with a simple chamber ream 30-06 ->300H&H, a bit of massaging of feed ramp et al --by a smith of course-- you will have not only have the correct chambering but it will be faithful to the rifle type as well. You could always find a k98k in 8mm and rebarrel.

Note the H&H was based on a slightly tighter bore of 7.61(0.2996inch) as opposed to the standard 30cal(7.62mm) though that should really concern things....

Good luck with your project