PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand ammo

mazda3gun
02-28-2014, 01:04 PM
I've got a 110 chambered .30-06. I bought some M1 Garand ammo for $20/20rnds to plink with and it's FMJ, "low" pressure ammo. Believe it's PPU ammo? or Prvi Paritsan? Some foreign crap lol...

Will there be any issues I should be aware of? Feed? Plug up the barrel? Rifling jump?

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
u bought the 150 g PPU?
paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarfekty fine in your garand,

mazda3gun
02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
No, I don't have a Garand. I have a 110 and want to know if it will work in it.

02-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
should read the entire post....sorry, yes what 1.618 said.
Garand, you need to watch what you fire else u will damage the rod, hence garand ammo, safe in ur bolt, more like a reduced recoil load. I have some 140s lapua trainer ammo in 06.

mazda3gun
02-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Cool, didn't wanna FORCE myself into buying an AK just to have a rifle to shoot:biggrin-new: if the 110 blew up.

Like I said, I bought em for plinking and splattering furry creatures

Caliper
02-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I've got a 110 chambered .30-06. I bought some M1 Garand ammo for $20/20rnds to plink with and it's FMJ, "low" pressure ammo. Believe it's PPU ammo? or Prvi Paritsan? Some foreign crap lol...

Will there be any issues I should be aware of? Feed? Plug up the barrel? Rifling jump?

PPU isn't usually low pressure ammo. Generally loaded pretty stout.

The loads are low pressure due to the M1 and its operating rod that can only take so much force. Any safe .30-'06 load is safe in the 110, but the M1 is not safe for full power loads in heavier bullet weights.

Blitzfike
02-28-2014, 09:49 PM
The issue in Garands isn't just that it is a low pressure round, it has to do with the pressure curve. What is the pressure in the barrel when the bullet passes the gas port out at the end of the barrel. Garand ammo is loaded with powder that is fast enough burning that the pressure is below the maximum for operating the rifle when it reaches the port. Slower burning powders may not have any higher pressure at peak, but they are still building pressure as the bullet passes the port, making the operating rod slam the action, resulting in a bent or broken op rod or worse. Been shooting the Garand for many years and love it. You can get an adjustable gas port which will allow the use of slower powders/heavier bullets than normal with it. That Garand rated ammo will be a pleasure to shoot in your bolt rifle. A buddy and I spent the day at his range shooting cast bullet loads in bolt guns using pistol powders from the old lyman reloading manual.. Amazingly accurate and lots of fun to shoot.

thomae
02-28-2014, 10:19 PM
OP's question has been answered.
If more folks wish to discuss the M1 Garand, they can do it in the off topic section.