PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post here. .204 to .308

HuntinPests
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello, Newbie here. I have a 12FV in .204, and was wondering if I can make changes and make it into a .308? I saw in " Frequently asked Questions" that a .204 has a size of .378 and a length of 2.26 and the .308 has a size of .473 and length of 2.8. Is this a doable change? I have found that the .204 sits more than I shoot it, and its more picky about what you feed it when reloading. I find myself using the .223's alot more. So this brings up other questions as well. If this is a doable swap, Barrel length, Twist, and Brand also come to mind. I really like the 10FP and want to try and build something close? I was told this is where to come to get the best info on Savage and after reading alot of posts here I have to agree. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

pdog06
03-14-2010, 09:17 AM
first off, Welcome to the forum.

Yes, your swap can be done. You would need the barrel, a .473 bolthead, standard baffle(w/o the extension), and a 308 magbox and follower.

All the parts can be bought diectly from Savage, or from Brownells, Sharpshooter Supply, Midway.

We hava a classified section where these parts come up available all the time, including the barrels. You would also be able to sell all your old stuff or trade it off to recoup some of your money. ou have to be a paid member to access it though, but it is only $12/yr and is well worth it when you're looking for parts.

GaCop
03-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Yes, welcome aboard. A wealth of knowledge here. It's well worth paying the $12/yr to access the classifieds and technical data.

HuntinPests
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info.. I will get My membership going! Thanks !