PDA

View Full Version : Cold enough for you???

Pages : [1] 2 3

foxx
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Last evening we kept hearing loud "thuds" and "creaking" sounds coming from our roof...

It continued thru the night, waking us more than once.

Finally, this morning, my wife convinced me to pull out the ladder from the garage so I could check out the attic.

All looked fine, but GEEZ-oh-PETE! It really seemed like the roof was caving in. 15* below actual is even making our house complain. :)

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 09:00 AM
foxx, how much snow do you have on ur roof?
I am in GR and most of my neighbors had water dripping last week when it warmed up, I have a glacier coming over and hanging from my roof.

woke up to air temp of -12 F not counting wind chill.

davemuzz
02-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Funny....my wife and I moved into a brand new home about 7 years ago. We have a deck off of our family\living room and it's built like a brick $hit house. When they put the deck on it's well up to code with the 6x6" outer poles set on 4'x4' concrete that was poured 3 feet deep, and it's fastened to the house with one long 2"x12" bolted thru the 2"x8" foundation block. So...it's not going anywhere.

However...when the temp drops down to exactly 20 degrees...the wood "moves" or shifts just enough to make a "BANG" like that of a 22 short going off!! I call it my "cold notification notice"!! It's as sure as the sun coming up in the morning and has been so since we have been here.

But for the cold? I love the cold....but really??? 'Nuff is 'nuff already!!!!

Dave

foxx
02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Some snow, but not all that much. We might have some ice damming, though. Should get the roof rake out, I am sure.

Hoping it's just the sound of roof boards contracting.

Houghton Lake was 28* below! LOL

Yep, Dave. .22 would describe it well. :)

davemuzz
02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Foxx...My son, D-I-L and their two boys, ages 1 and 2 live in Saline MI. All my son has said is if he never sees snow again...it's OK with him. And he was born and raised in Pittsburgh Pa. So he's no stranger to snow. He loves to ski as well.....but I think this homeownership, two young boys, a driveway to clear and these sub-freezing temp's have him tossing in the towel too. Heck....he's only 31!!!

Dave

fgw_in_fla
02-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Here...
Lemme warm it up for ya a little Dave.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/flamethrower.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fgwinfla/media/flamethrower.jpg.html)

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
The forecast for today is 56 and sunny, but the gorge winds haven't stopped for over a week. My driveway is a carpet of green fir boughs, and pine cones. I'd rather have the cold over this wind any day.

fgw_in_fla
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
(*Yawn*...)
Guess I'll go fishing today on this 68 degree morning with no wind & nary a cloud in the sky....

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
just don't get a heat stroke guys, I mean dress light and drink a lot of fluids

rs
02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Just another north central Pa winter day , minus 8 , the deck is a popin and crackin , B-OK B-OK

Texas Solo
02-28-2014, 11:33 AM
(*Yawn*...)
Guess I'll go fishing today on this 68 degree morning with no wind & nary a cloud in the sky....

Yeah, it's only in the mid 70's here today. Going to the range with my son, fear that I may have to wear a long sleeve T-shirt. :)

fgw_in_fla
02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah, it's only in the mid 70's here today. Going to the range with my son, fear that I may have to wear a long sleeve T-shirt. :)

They make shirts with long sleeves?

Must be for up north or something....

foxx
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
They make shirts with long sleeves?

Must be for up north or something....

Sure they do! I plan on wearing mine when I go to the range today. Weatherman says it should hit 0* by noon.
Yep, definitely gonna take my long sleeves, in case I feel a bit of a chill. ;)

broncbob
02-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Weather report form the Kearl Oil Sands project north of Fort McMurray Alberta. -47 with the windchill.

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Wind chill only works on animate objects, I'm afraid at that temperature, I'd be inanimate.

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Weather report form the Kearl Oil Sands project north of Fort McMurray Alberta. -47 with the windchill.

ok, I will stop complaining about -7F....:canada:

foxx
02-28-2014, 12:15 PM
ok, I will stop complaining about -7F....:canada:

We were almost there some weeks ago... but we were fortunate there wasn't wind this morning. Don't know what 10-20 mph wind does on top of -15 actual.

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Dunno if anyone here has been the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. -128F wind chill with air temp around -40s F. You have to luv the Midwest with the straight line winds in winter.

03mossy
02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Dunno if anyone here has been the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. -128F wind chill with air temp around -40s F. You have to luv the Midwest with the straight line winds in winter.

Is that the record or current temp?

It was -16 again here this morning seems to be the norm. You know its been a long cold winter when it gets above 0 and when your outside you think to yourself hmmm its kinda nice out!

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Is that the record or current temp?

It was -16 again here this morning seems to be the norm. You know its been a long cold winter when it gets above 0 and when your outside you think to yourself hmmm its kinda nice out!

a typical "bad" per the tour guide, this was 20 years back,
I remember -80 windchills in Lincoln,NE