PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ a decision....Savage Axis .223

Rimfix
02-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Ok guys, your thinking would be appreciated.

One way or another I'm moving in the direction of an Axis .223......what I need is a bare bones Axis. The scope and rings on an XP package I pretty much consider throw away.

My choices:

1. A used Axis XP combo w/ 100 rounds of 65gr ammo priced at $239. (seller claims condition 97 out of 100)

2. A new Axis w/ the factory 1 year first owner warranty:
Still waiting on a quote from Basspro and Big 5. I expect Basspro to come in between $299 and $320 tops and probably Big 5 will come in at $320 to $330, but the difference will easily be made up in the distance traveled.

The seller offered multiple guns for sale so maybe he's not offing the Axis because it is a lemon.

$100+ saving tugs on one side of me and a fresh barrel w/ factory warranty tugs on the other. I'm not loaded but I can afford not to make a bad decision.

Just how badly can someone screw up an Axis with what appears to be limited rounds?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rimfix.

P.S. I have no problems w/ pillar bedding, glass bedding, forend stiffening, trigger springs and sear polishing....I'm one of those guys that enjoys making my tools function.....it will happen, so before long the only reversibility for factory warranty would be to put the factory trigger spring back in.

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Save the $100, shoot the free ammo, and forget about the warranty issues. If there's something wrong with the rifle, Savage will fix it, it's not like they make you send in a warranty card when you purchase the rifle. 41 pieces make up the Savage Axis, all easily replaceable.

Swissfan
02-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I agree with Hotolds442, save the $100 to put towards a better scope.

n4ue
02-28-2014, 07:41 PM
I agree with Hotolds442, save the $100 to put towards a better scope.

+1 what Swissfan said. I think you will find the factory scope will soon be the limiting factor in your accuracy quest. I have 68 year old eyes, but I can still telt the difference between a 'starter' scope and a 'good' one. ha ha

Also, don't forget to do the $1 trigger mod. It's easy to do and reverseable.

ron

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I've seen an Xp Nikon sell here in the classifieds for $125. Add that to the $100 you're saving and you can get a pretty nice scope for $225.

Rimfix
02-28-2014, 09:37 PM
+1 what Swissfan said. I think you will find the factory scope will soon be the limiting factor in your accuracy quest. I have 68 year old eyes, but I can still telt the difference between a 'starter' scope and a 'good' one. ha ha

Also, don't forget to do the $1 trigger mod. It's easy to do and reverseable.

ron

I'm over 90 days away from 68yr old....I'll try to imagine what you're talking about though. :smile-new:
Spending more money on the scope than the rifle is a concept that I'm beginning to understand.

It's funny though that when you post a question like this you do have a bias.....mine was to go w/ the new one. It seems though that I'm in the minority as to the fear as to what somebody else might have put my future "baby" through.

Even I'm still interested in which direction I'll choose. Can good advice overcome fear? TBD.

Rimfix

gumbo333
02-28-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm 60 days from 68. spend your money on the scope. You may find a new Axis no XP, bare bones in the 275 area. Burris makes some nice 2 piece steel rings for the Axis IF you have a long enough scope. Trigger mods are easy and all over this site and U-tube. Good luck, Axis' are addictive.

Pawatch
03-06-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm over 90 days away from 68yr old....I'll try to imagine what you're talking about though. :smile-new:
Spending more money on the scope than the rifle is a concept that I'm beginning to understand.

It's funny though that when you post a question like this you do have a bias.....mine was to go w/ the new one. It seems though that I'm in the minority as to the fear as to what somebody else might have put my future "baby" through.

Even I'm still interested in which direction I'll choose. Can good advice overcome fear? TBD.

Rimfix
Myself I would also prefer new....the rifle isn't that much. And it will be something that will get passed down to my kids.
But am agreement on the scope good rings and scope is where it is at.

rsh4364
03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I have 2 Axix rifles,around here they are 259.99 plus tax.No scope.

gumbo333
03-08-2014, 09:03 AM
When I said 2 piece steel Burris rings I really wanted to say 2 piece Burris steel bases that fit the Axis. They are very solid for a 2 piece but you need a fairly long scope tube between the 'bells' to get enough rearward distance towards your eye. 259 is almost unreal for even a cheapo rifle but an Axis sure can shot.