PDA

View Full Version : How I got kicked off an Internet User's group

n4ue
02-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi, although off topic, it IS shooting related...
When I retired from IBM back in 2001, I bought a replica 427 Cobra, not a 'kit' but made in South Africa. Same company the the late Caroll Shelby's cars were/are made. Anyway, I joined a User's Group and everyone was very nice and we had some good discussions. The site admin. owned a very small auto repair shop, but he was always coming up with some off the wall topics.
I guess I should have known, when he boasted he had 'invented' a new motor oil. He was FAR from being a Tribologist or Engineer of any sort.......
Anyway, one day he was boasting about his prowess with a handgun. I guess everyone on the site was just a car person.
However, he mentioned he was some kind of International Class IHMSA champ. I just happened to also be an IHMSA competitor and had won the Ky State Class B revolver championship, with a Ruger .44 Mag. He really got a lot of guys worshiping his expertise. Then he mentioned the following:

He could hit 5 silver dollars IN A ROW at 200 Meters, (220 Yards). His gun of choice was a TC 14 inch (open sights, of course) chambered in .444 Marlin.
I made him an offer on the forum.

"If you can hit ONE silver dollar, I will give you my Cobra, free and clear. I'll give you 10 shots".

He immediately kicked me off the site for being 'confrontational', but he did get a LOT of questions as to why he didn't take me up on my offer.
Yeah, the car is only worth about $65 K but it was a safe bet!

ha ha

ron

SFLEFTY
02-27-2014, 08:53 PM
No $65K bet is a safe bet!

big honkin jeep
02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
No $65K bet is a safe bet!

+1
And if I didn't have to put up anything but a little pride I'd darn sure try and make good on at least nicking one of those silver dollars even if I couldn't see em that far away! :first: Always wanted to take a Cobra for a drive.

sharpshooter
02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
You never hear guys make them kind of claims when theyr'e at the range.....:p

foxx
02-27-2014, 11:45 PM
I once put an arrow through a small key ring at 135 yards. All I got for it was $150!

But I don't like to brag. :)

Stockrex
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
ron, silver $ at 200, hmm, sounds interesting, maybe you can save me a whole buncha man hours in putting a kit together in a few years when my oldest turns 15. I promised her that her first ride will be a kit cobra that we put together.

I think I can do it cuz I have "seen" some youtube videos where a guy with a revolver hits a 8 inch target (guessing size) at 400 yards or more (once again guess), he was shooting sitting down resting the gun on this knees (don't ask).
The main problem I have is, I can't bleeps at 200 yards, so can I use some sorta nightforce hand gun scope?? (do they even make one?)
So as you are quite far far away from moi, what do you say, I make a video of me shooting one of this .....;-)

------------
Pls disregard the above, had too many roasted coconut drinks, I can only hit an inch target with my walther ssp target pistol at 50 yards. takes a few shots but can do it.

n4ue
02-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi Stockrex. I forgot to mention in my story, that I also shot IHMSA in the Unlimited class. This is the same class the chap in my story shot in. Nowdays, they have a class for scoped handguns, but that started after I moved and stopped shooting in competition. I had a couple of accurate TCs but knocking over the large, steel Rams at 200 Meters takes a good hit. So, I used a Rem XP-100 that the late Elgin Gates rechambered from 7BR to 7mm-08. I still have that gun and it's probably responsible for all my wrist problems! ha ha

The top shooters could hit (and knock down) all 40 targets. So, when 2 or more scored perfect, they would put smaller and smaller targets out at 200 meters until someone won. It was normally the life sized 50 Meter (Chicken) targets. NEVER a silver dollar sized target.
HOWEVER, considering the trajectory of a .444 out of a handgun, at 200 Meters, using open sights, I KNEW he couldn't do it.......

As far as the car. Mine is a Superformance (as are Shelby's) and they arrive into the USA, 2 to a cargo container from RSA. They are 100 % completely finished. The chassis are state of the art, 4 whl disk brakes, real knock-off wheels, etc. No part was ever used on a Mustang. The way they can be imported into the USA (since there is NO way they could pass a front crash test, since they don't have bumpers!), is they come in as a rolling chassis, minus engine and transmission.
I had my choice of a 514 cu in or a 392 cu in. About the same $. I went with the 392 which is a Ford Racing 'roller', crate engine. 465 hp is plenty for a 2200 lb car. Since it has a Tremec 5 speed, it gets excellent mileage on the highway, which was exactly what I wanted.
I have another hot rod that gets 'almost' 5 MPG. I used to drag race that one, but it now does just street duty. Besides, I have a friend back in Ky that has a Cobra very similar to mine, with 557 cu in and I wasn't that impressed.

If I was interested in a 'kit', I'd probably look at Factory Five.

BTW, the plate on my Cobra (which is titled as a 1965), reads: NO KIT. I also had to put a big label on the dash that reads:
"NO! This is NOT a 'kit car'"....... I just got tired of all the folks asking me that. Or, "what kind of 'vette is this???"

later

ron

foxx
02-28-2014, 03:19 PM
I could.

But I'd have to use my bow.

Is that cheating?

rsh4364
03-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi Stockrex. I forgot to mention in my story, that I also shot IHMSA in the Unlimited class. This is the same class the chap in my story shot in. Nowdays, they have a class for scoped handguns, but that started after I moved and stopped shooting in competition. I had a couple of accurate TCs but knocking over the large, steel Rams at 200 Meters takes a good hit. So, I used a Rem XP-100 that the late Elgin Gates rechambered from 7BR to 7mm-08. I still have that gun and it's probably responsible for all my wrist problems! ha ha

The top shooters could hit (and knock down) all 40 targets. So, when 2 or more scored perfect, they would put smaller and smaller targets out at 200 meters until someone won. It was normally the life sized 50 Meter (Chicken) targets. NEVER a silver dollar sized target.
HOWEVER, considering the trajectory of a .444 out of a handgun, at 200 Meters, using open sights, I KNEW he couldn't do it.......

As far as the car. Mine is a Superformance (as are Shelby's) and they arrive into the USA, 2 to a cargo container from RSA. They are 100 % completely finished. The chassis are state of the art, 4 whl disk brakes, real knock-off wheels, etc. No part was ever used on a Mustang. The way they can be imported into the USA (since there is NO way they could pass a front crash test, since they don't have bumpers!), is they come in as a rolling chassis, minus engine and transmission.
I had my choice of a 514 cu in or a 392 cu in. About the same $. I went with the 392 which is a Ford Racing 'roller', crate engine. 465 hp is plenty for a 2200 lb car. Since it has a Tremec 5 speed, it gets excellent mileage on the highway, which was exactly what I wanted.
I have another hot rod that gets 'almost' 5 MPG. I used to drag race that one, but it now does just street duty. Besides, I have a friend back in Ky that has a Cobra very similar to mine, with 557 cu in and I wasn't that impressed.

If I was interested in a 'kit', I'd probably look at Factory Five.

BTW, the plate on my Cobra (which is titled as a 1965), reads: NO KIT. I also had to put a big label on the dash that reads:
"NO! This is NOT a 'kit car'"....... I just got tired of all the folks asking me that. Or, "what kind of 'vette is this???"

later

ron
Always been my fantasy car,what gear you running in rear.Also would enjoy hearing more about your ex-drag car.My other obsession is my 79 Malibu,355/th350,runs mid to high 12s so far,

110_Tactical
03-15-2014, 06:48 PM
It would be too hard to see it let alone hit it.
I shoot at 2MOA sized targets at up to 400 yards with iron sighted rifles.
The size is 2MOA because any smaller, and I really can't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJT1K5HzKEo

Today's shot was at that distance shooting a 3MOA sized target, I almost missed. So it isn't like I can hit that small of a target every time; but I swear by the "aim small, miss small" method.