PDA

View Full Version : EGW "practical" Rings (30mm), EGW 0 MOA Base, Mounting Issues

Silvercrow1
02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Part of this is mentioned in other posts as I bought a new Savage and am switching scopes around between the new gun and my MKII classic.

So a question please- I bought the EGW 0MOA base for my MKII in .22LR, and EGW Practical rings to go with it. Sort of look like Warne rings.

Anyway mounted everything up, and I had some difficulty deciding how to place the rings as the scope I decided to put on the MK II is a Mueller 8-32x42 Target dot. theres significantly less "tube" between the occular eyepiece and turrets than there is between the turrets and the objective bell. BTW- the scope is a side parallex adj. style. I called EGW to get the torque value for the rings as it was not listed. The base was listed at 20PSI. The guy has me on hold and then comes back and says 35-40 pounds on the rings. I mention that it soulds like alot! (All my other rings range 14-20 pounds). He said he was ure.

I begin to incrementally tighten the rings to the scope and something just is not feeling right. I stopped at 30 PSI. Dont know what made me do it, but I tried the side focus- darn thing was just about locked to the point you couldn't move it!:o

So I backed the bolts back out, examined the scopoe- no apparent damage. I adjusted the rings slightly further away (one notch further away from the turret, both sets) and re-mounted, torquing to 17-20 pounds. Scope seems to hold fine and the side focus works smoothly now.

Anyone know why the high torque value I was told? Anyone know why the side focus stiffened up like it did? I wonder if I started to put too much pressure on the tube? The rings were clear of the turrets so no mechanical inteference there...? Finally, paranoid me- is it possible I did some damage to the internals? There are NO marks / dents on the tubes, and the focus seems to work fine now.

Please put an old guys' mind at ease, if you can. Thanks- Brian

pitsnipe
03-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Sounds to me like you caught it in time. No external damage and side focus/parallax works. That little voice in yer head saved that scope.

Snipe

ak-holic
03-08-2014, 03:35 AM
I have NEVER EVER EVER tightened the rings down on a scope tube to a specific torque.

I only use the Burris Extreme Tactical with 6 screws.

S-L-O-W-L-Y tighten the centers screws on each side of the scope ring in 1/2 to 1 full turns alternating side to side.

I actually do the front and rear rings at the same time. 1/2 turn on the middle front screws, 1/2 turn on the middle back screws, then back to the front and on and on. Takes awhile, but no issues with any of the scopes I have mounted.

Once I am sure the rings have enough bite on the scope I will catch the other 4 screws up to the center ones.

Make sure you keep the gap between the scope ring halves as equal as possible.

Don't forget a dab of Loctite Blue 242 on the screw threads.