PDA

View Full Version : LRPV - heavily dished bolt face

nomo4me
03-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Here are some pics of a 2nd hand LRPV I got a deal on. It's a 6BR 1-12" twist DBM bought to serve as a sub-600 yard varminter.

Photos show:

1.Dished bolt face around firing pin

2. Raised bumps at the muzzle where the grooves are - was this rifle button rifled after the barrel was faced off?

3. Very limited bolt lug contact - only at the base of the lugs.

I'm guessing this bolt head was left in the vibratory tumbler wayyyyy too long. I've got another Savage of recent mfr with a good, crisply finished bolt head.

25 rounds down the gun, supposedly shoots very well.

I'd like to hear comments please. Haven't shot the gun yet.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_3247.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_3248.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_3249.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_3250.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_3251.jpg

steveinwv
03-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Bolt face and muzzle are ridiculous. Savage should be ashamed that a gun like that got out, whether it shoots good or not.

pdog06
03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
I assume you bought this used? If so I'd be contacting the seller for a refund or enough money to fix it.

Never seen just 25 rounds do that.

PEI Rob
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
That crown does not look factory to me. Also, the bore was not dialed in when the crown was cut. Your crown needs to be fixed by a good gunsmith, one that painstakingly dials the bore in with test indicators and is worried about his craftsmanship more than the price he charges.

Not sure about the bolt head but I would bush it. You can get a trued one from Fred.

nomo4me
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
While I'm confident that the bolt head is as it left the factory, I just can't fathom that savage would have pulled the button out of a finished crown. So I'm thinking you are right that it's a recut crown.

I'd like to ask anyone with a 6br LRPV to post a close up of the crown on their factory barrel for comparison's sake.

That would be much appreciated.

Seems I can go two ways here: Return the gun to Savage for warranty replacement of the bolt head, or buy a trued up bolt head and have my GS recrown the bbl and at the same time set the headspace on the new head.
Preferred option 3 would be to also add a new Shilen bbl but funds aren't available to do that presently.

That crown does not look factory to me. Also, the bore was not dialed in when the crown was cut. Your crown needs to be fixed by a good gunsmith, one that painstakingly dials the bore in with test indicators and is worried about his craftsmanship more than the price he charges.

Not sure about the bolt head but I would bush it. You can get a trued one from Fred.

stevec
03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
To me it looks like someone "deburred" The firing pin hole. Not sure how they manaaged to get the raised bumps on the crown, I have crowned and recrowned a lot of barrels and never seen this before. Recrowning is not a difficult process, I wouldnt think a good smith would charge to much to do it.

It very well may shoot fantastic as is, but I couldnt live with it.

Steve

nomo4me
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm confident the bolt head is not altered from the factory. A smith is barreling up a 6 x 47 L for me presently and he'd probably recrown for $25 or thereabouts so I'm not too concerned about that.

I've searched through SSS list of offerings and can't see where they sell a trued bolt head. Can someone point me to it if they do offer it?
I think I'd just rather replace the bolt head on my own nickle rather than ship it back to Savage and beef about a warranty.

Also, would much appreciate a photo of a factory LRPV crown.

Many thanks!

Mike

steveinwv
03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
While I'm confident that the bolt head is as it left the factory, I just can't fathom that savage would have pulled the button out of a finished crown. So I'm thinking you are right that it's a recut crown.

I'd like to ask anyone with a 6br LRPV to post a close up of the crown on their factory barrel for comparison's sake.

That would be much appreciated.

Seems I can go two ways here: Return the gun to Savage for warranty replacement of the bolt head, or buy a trued up bolt head and have my GS recrown the bbl and at the same time set the headspace on the new head.
Preferred option 3 would be to also add a new Shilen bbl but funds aren't available to do that presently.

How in the world could you cut a crown that looked like that. I would call it impossible. Although someone here may correct me.

PEI Rob
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
steveinwv, it looked good to the guy who crowned it. It looked like this after it was fired. I suspect the lathe tool was not sharp and rolled material into the hole. I also think the bolt head was messed with. No idea why anyone would want to chamfer a firing pin hole like that.

nomo4me, I see you used something green to mark the lugs. Check with an unsized fired case so the bolt head back is under force.

pdog06
03-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Did you take the ejector out, or is it just missing?

nomo4me
03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
I pull the ejectors from all my varmint guns. Can't stand to let Lapua or Nosler brass go flipping off into the dirt.

Did you take the ejector out, or is it just missing?

358Hammer
03-15-2010, 02:07 AM
nomo

Is the picture of the crown a light/optical illusion regarding the crown? In the picture it appears that the burr on the bore was removed off center leaving the burrs on the other portion of the crown?

Also, if you should put the bolthead and baffle back on the bolt. Push the firing pin assembly forward through the firing pin hole and measure the protrusion of the firing pin if you don't mind. The raised portion adjacent to the funky pin hole radius and then again at the edge of the face.

I saw something like this once. Length of barrel? Drop a sized case in the chamber and see what the case protrusion out of the chamber is?

Neal

steveinwv
03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
steveinwv, it looked good to the guy who crowned it. It looked like this after it was fired. I suspect the lathe tool was not sharp and rolled material into the hole.

I can see this possibility. I stand corrected.

nomo4me
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I called Savage and ordered a new bolt head today. Was cheaper than sending my gun back to them. I'll have my guy recrown when we reset the headspace.

The burr pushed back out theory about the crown oddity seems to make a great deal of sense.

Thanks for the help!