PDA

View Full Version : .243 AI in Stevens

fcsurvivor
03-14-2010, 01:02 AM
I have got to know a local gunsmith and he has offered to chamber me a rifle for the cost of the reamers. So here is what I have in mind. I just finished building a .260 on a new Stevens action that I bought which started out as a .243. So I now have a brand new .243 barrel sitting around doing nothing. The local gun store has Stevens in .243 for $295.00. So I am thinking why not pick one up and have it rechambered to .243AI for something to experiment with? If I decide I don't like it I have the second .243 barrel so I could return it to the origional configuration.

So I guess what I need to know is this. Has anyone here done a .243AI on a center feed Savage/Stevens, and if so how is the feeding from the magazine?

pdog06
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
most smiths only charge around $70 or so to do a chamber job, so unless you can get a reamer for less than that you're not saving any money. Plus your smith is gonna make out big in the long run cause now he'll have a brand new reamer to use.

Before i messed with a Stevens barrel I'd buy a good blank somewhere and let him do it on that. Atleast you end up with a good aftermarket barrel when you're done.

pa hog
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
You could do it to get familiar with the Chambering and to fire-form a bunch of brass. But the benifits are'nt gonna be worth it in a 22" barrel. I had a 19" 243AI that was as fast as a 22" 243Win but used more powder to do it. I have a 26" Brux 243AI, I was thinking of doing a factory barrel like a Stevens just to fire-form brass for my Brux. My Smith charges like $60.00 on a Savage barrel, but you barrel must be chambered with-in certain tolerances to center line of the bore for him even to do it or you'll end up with football shaped chamber.If it's out he won't even do it.

fcsurvivor
03-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess I didn't explain it very well. I have to buy the reamer, but I get to keep it as well, or I can just pay the rental for the reamer. He isn't getting anything out of the deal, he just doesn't have a .243AI reamer and doesn't want to buy one just to do me a barrel. The reason I am doing a sporter barrel is that I already have my .260 that has a 26" Schillen select match barrel for long range work, I wanted something different for a walking hunting rifle and I figured the .243AI would be fun to experiment with. I was going to buy the reamer and that way if the bug really bites me I can have a heavy barrel done in the AI as well.

pa hog
03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
If he'll do it for free for just you buying a reamer then it's a deal, but be prepared to spend at least 85.00 shipped for dies.

kslefty
03-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I have 3 AI calibers I shoot but the 243 would not be my choice. There is very little room for improvement on the parent case and with the 22" barrel it is kind of wasted. I say keep the .243 or if you really want to have an ackley round try a 6mm or a 250 savage.