PDA

View Full Version : Reloading PSA

Hovering Sniper
02-26-2014, 08:59 PM
I have only been reloading for about a year now, and thought I had a pretty good handle on the process. Up to this point, all I've only loaded 105 gr Bergers for my 6BR, and decided I would try out an 80 gr for the 100-200yd range. The process I followed was the same way I have been doing all along, but these 80 grainers have a flat bottom versus the boat tail on the 105s. The results have been frustrating, not because of accuracy, because I haven't shot them yet, but if the bullet is not started precisely, the lip folds under and fouls up the neck.

After consulting a very experienced reloader, he advised me to chamfer my necks a little deeper to help guide the bullets into position.

Most of you probably knew this already, but those of us less experienced reloaders might benefit from this little bit of insight. If anyone has other techniques to help prevent this sort of thing, please add them to this posting.

BillPa
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
You might want to use a 22 degree VLD chamfer tool instead of a Wilson 45 for example. It will cut a longer length chamfer at less of an angle without making the case mouth too thin.

Bill

Hovering Sniper
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll look into that.

Hotolds442
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
You might want to use a 22 degree VLD chamfer tool instead of a Wilson 45 for example. It will cut a longer length chamfer at less of an angle without making the case mouth too thin.

Bill
Thats probably your best option with flat base bullets.

Hovering Sniper
02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Found it on Sinclair. It's a 28 deg VLD Case Mouth Chamfer tool.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-mouth-chamfering/sinclair-carbide-vld-case-mouth-chamfering-tool-prod35016.aspx

BillPa
02-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Found it on Sinclair. It's a 28 deg VLD Case Mouth Chamfer tool.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-mouth-chamfering/sinclair-carbide-vld-case-mouth-chamfering-tool-prod35016.aspx

This is the one I use, the RCBS 22.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/356834/rcbs-chamfer-tool-vld-very-low-drag-replacement-head

Lyman also makes a 22.

the Ranger
02-27-2014, 01:59 AM
"modern reloading" by Richard Lee, buy it, read it. lots of good tips there, also the most complete load manual you will find.

bythebook
02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
That's what I use also Bill. I replaced the one on my Hornady and RCBS prep center.

n4ue
02-27-2014, 08:23 PM
+1 on the VLD tool.
Also, you didn't mention what dies you are using. I have rather large hands and for my .17s, .20s and .224s, I have purchased Hornady 'new dimension' seating dies. These have a sleeve that drops down from the die body and holds the tip of the bullet vertically, to assist in seating. It made a big difference with the tiny .17 Hornet.

ron

FW Conch
02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
I don't/can't shoot over 300yrds, so I have gone to flat base bullets whenever I can. More room for powder in the case, shorter bullet per weight, stabilization, etc., etc. I use the VLD inside neck reamer, as mentioned above. "And", I use the LEE Neck Expander Die, just enough to expand the neck to loaded neck diameter. This allows the bullet to set straight in the case neck before it goes into the seating die, and I have not "shaved any copper" since using this method.

Hope this helps........Jim

BillPa
02-28-2014, 09:56 AM
I use the LEE Neck Expander Die, just enough to expand the neck to loaded neck diameter.

Jim

When he says it "folds" the neck(s) I can't help but think something else going on.

Flat based bullets have a very slight taper or radius at the junction of the heel and base, not much, but some never less. Coupled with a 45* chamfer there isn't a good reason for damaging the necks unless they're been over sized to the point the base itself is contacting flat on the case mouth.

The same as n4ue I'm curious what die he's using.

Bill

MacDR
02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
When he says it "folds" the neck(s) I can't help but think something else going on.

Flat based bullets have a very slight taper or radius at the junction of the heel and base, not much, but some never less. Coupled with a 45* chamfer there isn't a good reason for damaging the necks unless they're been over sized to the point the base itself is contacting flat on the case mouth.

The same as n4ue I'm curious what die he's using.

Bill

Agree with this observation. I load several flat bottom bullets from .223 to 35 Rem and haven't experience collapsing neck rims. It sounds more like an undersize expander in your resizing die or your collet die mandel is too small.

I load cast in both rifle and pistol. I use a neck expanding die that slightly flares the rim of the neck out to prevent shaving lead. The pistol are factory but the rifle are made from a universal depriming die with made to measure rods. A light crimp pushes the flare it back in place.

JCalhoun
03-01-2014, 01:10 PM
I love the "window" seating dies that RCBS has. I think are called Gold Medal or Competition or something like that but they have a slot in the side of the die body to drop the bullet down. This aligns the bullet to the neck an no more tilting as the ram is raised. The micrometer seater is very handy when using different bullets for the same cartridge.

Fat fingers and small bullets don't mix.

BillPa
03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
I love the "window" seating dies that RCBS has. I think are called Gold Medal or Competition or something like that but they have a slot in the side of the die body to drop the bullet down.

The GM seater is a copy or the same idea as Winn Vickerman's seating die now made by GMW. http://vickermandies.com/html/products.html
I have two of the originals. They're a God send for us fat fingered re-stuffers stuff'n in little bullets!

Bill