PDA

View Full Version : How Much Head Space ?

Hylander
03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
I have some loaded rounds that got the shoulders of the case set back to far when sizing,
Die was not set proper.
I did the quick and Dirty head spce check, "Masking tape on the case Head".
I can fit 2 layers of tape, .008 and bolt closes easy.
1 more layer, total of .012 and the bolt will not close.
Safe to fire the rounds or pull'em down ?
By the way factory FC .223 Ammo has less than .004 of Head space

BillPa
03-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Well, first of all the term referring to the cartridge length is "Head clearance" not headspace, but for now....

The SAAMI cartridge length spec for the 223 Rem is 1.466" - .007" or 1.459" min, 1.466" max. casehead to datum.

If in fact they are .008" short the "best practice" would be to form a false shoulder by necking up to the next caliber, 243 in this instance, then resize the neck just enough so they chamber with a slight crush fit. The same as how we formed 204 Ruger brass using 222 Rem mags. On the left is the 222 RM partially neck sized and the fireformed to the 204R. IIRC the shoulders were moved forward .050".

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ag0xsg.jpg

If it were my brass ...well, I would just........ ;D

Bill

ourway77
03-14-2010, 08:28 AM
I am at some what of a loss. If your base of your die was set to touch the shell holder all you did was FL resize the cases, if this being the case go ahead and just shoot them. FL resizing is a must when sizing cases fired in one rifle and going to be shot in another rifle. Once fired in the same rifle I neck size the cases by either a neck sizing die, but with the regular FL sizing dies, I keep the base of the die from toching the shell holder. Every rifle may require more, or some may require less, it would be your call. If you used some other method? let me know what you did. Lou

rigelb79
03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
My gunsmith in FL would use the 3 layers of masking tape as a headspace guage if he did not already have one. If the bolt will not close on 3 layers then your headspace be good and you can fire the rounds.

deadeye
03-14-2010, 08:55 AM
If your base of your die was set to touch the shell holder all you did was FL resize the cases, if this being the case go ahead and just shoot them.

+1 - you can't "over" size with the proper die.

As stated - if you sized with the proper die - shoot em.

By the way, I've seen many, many (particularly Remington) rifles that right off the rack would take .012 extra on a go gauge.

docsleepy
03-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I think when you fire them, you will automatically be "fireforming" them back to your chamber's dimensions somewhat. I've heard people say to put a little lube on the shoulder so it can move with less friction. If you do that, then run a 9mm sized patch back in afterwards with some acetone to get out the lube from the chamber, where you want good friction for accuracy.

deadeye
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I've heard people say to put a little lube on the shoulder so it can move with less friction.

NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON THE CASES GOING INTO A CHAMBER!

Lubing the ammo or chamber is a very dangerous practice.

Friction between the case and chamber wall is expected to slow rearward travel of the fired case. When you take the friction away, this increases the stress on the bolt, causing increased chamber pressures.

Also - it is way too easy to "over" lube and it has no place for the extra to go when the case expands to the chamber.

PEI Rob
03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Shoot 'em and toss that brass.

Reloading dies come in a WIDE variety of sizes. Almost ALL will size the brass down too much if you adjust to the max, and they are supposed to. Proper headspace falls within certain specifications therefore any chamber at maximum spec but still within spec should have a longer case than a minimum spec chamber. Your resizing die is designed to be able to size down slightly past the minimum chamber spec. The amount "slightly past" is up to the die manufacturer. This would be a properly made die, and lots are out of spec. Remember, brass springs back at different rates so the die must be able to size fairly hard brass which requires more sizing than fresh or new brass.

As mentioned, lubed brass or a lubed chamber can cause increased bolt thrust. Excessive amounts can alter the chamber air space or get ahead of the bullet and this will increase chamber pressure.

Hylander
03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Well I went ahead and shot them today.
Brass looks fine and all shot great.
Here is the outcome of the first three:

Hornady 50 SPSX

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/Modern/Savage%20Predator/PredatorTarget150SPSX25H335WSR.jpg

docsleepy
03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
good point about the lube! Thanks for the correction.
gordon