PDA

View Full Version : Primer Pockets

Luke45
02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
To clean or not to clean? i used to clean them but stopped a couple years ago because it felt like a waste of time and i didnt see any negative effects. Is it a waste of time or am i just not good enough of a shot to tell the difference?

Imaybail
02-25-2014, 08:46 PM
I have always cleaned my primer pockets either with a brush or when ultrasonic cleaning my brass. To me it is just another variable I can eliminate in the process of making quality ammo. My shooting (in)ability requires that I give myself every advantage possible.

thermaler
02-25-2014, 08:56 PM
I always clean my primer pockets--My view is even seating and ignition of primers is as important as consistent bullet seating depth--but that's just my in-expert opinion.

drybean
02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I always clean my primer pockets--My view is even seating and ignition of primers is as important as consistent bullet seating depth--but that's just my in-expert opinion.

+ 1 to that

drybean

Luke45
02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Have any of you ever tried it side by side? a few years ago i acidently loaded a box of shells without cleaning the pockets, and they shot identical so i just stopped doing it and never looked back. Thats not a very scientific ttest though, , just wondering if anyone has done a real side by side test to see if its worth it.

thermaler
02-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Have any of you ever tried it side by side? a few years ago i acidently loaded a box of shells without cleaning the pockets, and they shot identical so i just stopped doing it and never looked back. Thats not a very scientific ttest though, , just wondering if anyone has done a real side by side test to see if its worth it.Have not--but I examine all the pockets and generally the flash holes and pockets have enough residue--sometimes pretty hard stuff-- in them that I try to get rid of as much of it as I can. The pocket itself sometimes may deform--so cleaning it gives me a good look at em. I've only had 1 FTF in my reloads so far and that was because the primer itself was faulty. I've read that cleaning them probably isn't necessary--but I do it anyway--and can't really prove that it makes any difference.

CharlieNC
02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
I only uniform the pockets the first time. Then I tumble clean everytime and use the flash-hole deburring tool to quickly push out any residue that stays in the hole. My tumbler cleans the pocket a little, at least enough to prevent a long-term buildup.

emtrescue6
02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
I started cleaning pockets a couple years ago when I added an RCBS case prep station to my reloading room and only because i had an open station and it really doesn't add any time to y case prep. I don't uniform pockets typically though.

FW Conch
02-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Cleaning my brass keeps me away from brass poles ;-)). This is an excessive/compulsive - sport/hobby ;-)). It's a matter of choice as to where we "waste our time"!? ;-))

JMHO ;-)).........Jim

Mr. Bruce
02-28-2014, 10:23 PM
+ 1 to that

drybean
+2 to that. I'm a target shooter but I'm also a hunter. I don't need that question in my mind as a trophy elk is in my cross-hairs. Will it go off or wont it?

darkker
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Have any of you ever tried it side by side? a few years ago i acidently loaded a box of shells without cleaning the pockets, and they shot identical so i just stopped doing it and never looked back. Thats not a very scientific ttest though, , just wondering if anyone has done a real side by side test to see if its worth it.

That is precisely why I clean only occasionally. ES/SD didn't change, and I still ring the 1200 yard gong as reliably as ever.
YMMV, but I like shooting, not cleaning.

COplains
03-01-2014, 03:59 PM
to clean or not to clean.....hmmm. does it go in the freezer or FTF?

MacDR
03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Never had a FTF caused by a dirty primer pocket. I have to agree that it doesn't seem to make a measurable difference. A real dirty pocket that is tight to begin with may cause primers to seat higher or require extra force to seat but, from my experience, the anvil seats up okay. Doubt normal fouling would seriously impede flash through hole since it gets pushed out during depriming.

With respect to uniforming, if the tool is to the plus variance for length of the cutter, you can exacerbate FTF problems associated with a light firing pin strike. I had a 110 in 30-06 that would occasionally fail to strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. It only happened on one brand of cartridges that I had been using for years. I finally got frusterated with it after a FTF that cost me a big black bear so I had it inspected and its headspace was on the high side of safe and it had a weak spring. A deep seated primer would simply have increased the number of FTF with this rifle.