PDA

View Full Version : Using to large of a bolt head.

snider6464
02-24-2014, 11:00 PM
On my new build I have been looking for the correct bolt head for the new barrel but have not found one in stock. So I'm waiting for it to come in.

While waiting I was thinking, apart from extracting issues what would happen if I used to large of a bolt face?

Not going to try. I was just thinking! Again still waiting for correct head, was just playing around with the idea.

bootsmcguire
02-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Which bolt head are you looking for exactly?

You may consider becoming a paid member here as bolt heads come up fairly often in the "Paid Member Classifieds" board.

BillPa
02-25-2014, 10:00 AM
While waiting I was thinking, apart from extracting issues what would happen if I used to large of a bolt face?

Not going to try. I was just thinking! Again still waiting for correct head, was just playing around with the idea.

Nothing is going to happen but fire a cartridge as normal. The chamber would center the cartridge for the primer strike. It wouldn't be any different than a break open action with a flat breach face, NEF, TC and etc.

But, patience a virtue.

Bill

sharpshooter
02-25-2014, 01:48 PM
I watched a guy shoot a complete match at the Varmint Hunters Jamborree with a .204 Ruger, using a 6BR bolt. He had to knock each case out with a cleaning rod. He would have won the match if he hadn't run out of time. He came to me in a panic, "Please can you help me with this extraction problem.....it just cost me the match!"
He handed me the bolt and a cartridge, I took one look, and said, "You might wanna use the right bolt next time...":p
After that, everything that came outa his mouth woulda made a sailor blush.

David_4
02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
If you use a different bolt head in the mean time to check your headspace after you install the correct one.

defoxer
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Bolt restrains only the longitudinal force(direction of barrel bore), no axial force, the rim around the bolt face is only there for convenience to locate the extractor..... look at the Enfield (MLE) it has a flat plane bolt face with the extractor protruding....