PDA

View Full Version : Whens it gonna end?

Pages : [1] 2

rsh4364
02-24-2014, 06:04 PM
I went back to work 3 weeks ago and have worked 9 days because of sub zero temps. snow and ice.Its killing me financially.Cant buy anything! Was 40-50s for a couple days last week.This week single digits and sub zero windchills,...Really thinking of moving..Thankyou needed to vent!

fgw_in_fla
02-24-2014, 08:00 PM
You think you have it bad???
I had to suffer in the sweltering 78 degree heat with a 15 mph breeze out of the NW and slave over a 60' x 60' planting bed all day.
And the weather guy is saying the temps are going to PLUNGE down into the mid 60's tonight.
So quit your whining, will ya....
Oh, and the humidity was killing me all day, too. It had to be at least 50 - 60% most of the day.
Thought I was gonna die.

yobuck
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
I went back to work 3 weeks ago and have worked 9 days because of sub zero temps. snow and ice.Its killing me financially.Cant buy anything! Was 40-50s for a couple days last week.This week single digits and sub zero windchills,...Really thinking of moving..Thankyou needed to vent!

if venting is all it takes your lucky. you only get one shot at this.
if your serious, get serious. next winter is just a few months away.

rsh4364
02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I really feel bad for you Frank,not because of your weather,but because you get such a joy out of rubbing it in to us Northern people!HaHa...You have to much time on your hands and I need to work more hours so I can send you some more mags to work on.HaHa.

Rick_W
02-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm glad I own a kayak - as much rain as we've had down here one would wonder if Noah has a secret...

fgw_in_fla
02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
I really feel bad for you Frank,not because of your weather,but because you get such a joy out of rubbing it in to us Northern people!HaHa...You have to much time on your hands and I need to work more hours so I can send you some more mags to work on.HaHa.

Don't forget...
I lived my first 24 years or so in NY (Long Island). The blizzard of '78 helped me make the decision to move a little further south. Although I sympathize with your plight I still find it a bit amusing. The fact that you're freezing your garbanzos off & can't work due to inclement weather really does bring back memories. Not exactly FOND memories, but memories nonetheless.
Will it help if I box up a few pounds of warm air & sunshine to send you? You could have the family gather 'round when you open it and maybe get a little tan....

rsh4364
02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Make it a big box! Our high temp.for next 3 days 13....Wed.and Thurs. morning 4 and Fri.morning 8 below 0..And it gets better 6-10 inches snow for weekend! Arrrrgh..

fgw_in_fla
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Those can't be real temps. I think you're making that up....

It only gets that cold north of the arctic circle in February.

Or did you move there & not update your profile?

Eric A
02-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Make it a big box! Our high temp.for next 3 days 13....Wed.and Thurs. morning 4 and Fri.morning 8 below 0..And it gets better 6-10 inches snow for weekend! Arrrrgh..

Winter started up my way in Northwestern Michigan in mid November and looks like it's not gonna warm above freezing until late March....We currently have 2 to 3 ft of packed snow on the ground here. Northern lake Michigan is froze over and local ducks are dieing from no open water to feed in.. Gonna be a big winter kill on the deer herd this year...especially last years fawns...other than that...we're having winters like I remember as a kid growing up in the north country of Michigan..I still remember the county snow plows that were Kenworths being hooked together in tandem with a big V plow mounted on the front truck to open country roads up after mid winter blizzards..

sixonetonoffun
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Had a news story here on a contractor been out of work for months. Finally found work an being this fella was hungry for work and had a family to provide for. He hardly noticed the pain as he froze his feet. Yet kept right on working. He was frostbit so bad his feet looked as if they'd bern boiled in oil! Never did hear if they had to amputate. But the poor guy would be out of work for several months again.

Gotta luv winter in Minnesnowta!

COplains
02-25-2014, 11:17 PM
frank,,,,the tent is getting bigger and closer. kris

03mossy
02-26-2014, 08:13 AM
-12° here this morning and with the wind chill feels like -25°!!!!! I love winter usually, I like the cold, snow, ice fishing, making snow forts with the kids but I've had enough this year also. We have had winters in the past that are snowy and winters that are cold but never a perfect combination like this winter has been. Its just to cold to get out with my kids and enjoy it. Cant ice fish anymore because i do not have an extention for my ice auger and the ice is over 4' thick. I plow snow as a second job and have for 16 years, I am at a record number of snow plow events already and we still have another month to go.

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
I think I'll take the morning off & sit under the elm tree. Maybe pick a little on the 'ol 6 string, get caught up on a little light reading, have a nice cool iced tea....

Gotta rest up before I cut the grass & get the rest of the corn in the ground.

rsh4364
02-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Ah Frank...He always knows what to say to make us Yankees feel better! lol.

rsh4364
02-26-2014, 05:50 PM
I work on natural gas lines in Toledo,Snohio. We have been having to use jackhammers to bust thru frostline because ground to hard for backhoes...A job we did last week frost was 34" deep!

old_dood
02-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Don't forget...
I lived my first 24 years or so in NY (Long Island). The blizzard of '78 helped me make the decision to move a little further south. Although I sympathize with your plight I still find it a bit amusing. The fact that you're freezing your garbanzos off & can't work due to inclement weather really does bring back memories. Not exactly FOND memories, but memories nonetheless.
Will it help if I box up a few pounds of warm air & sunshine to send you? You could have the family gather 'round when you open it and maybe get a little tan....

I'm still there. My wife, daughter, and I were recently reminiscing about that blizzard. The daughter was 2 months old at the time when there were no cell phones and no one had heard from husband/father for something like 10 hours because I was stuck on the Long Island Expressway where I eventually abandoned my car in the middle of the roadway. I did make it home when a chap on Rt. 110 in a VW Beattle picked me up and got me close enough to where I could walk home. Desperately want to move to Fla....wife won't hear of it. At least I've got a decent snow blower now.

Hotolds442
02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
I've been meaning to shoot some rounds for the February match, but sustained winds at 30-50mph for the last week have pretty much cancelled that plan. I'll take some of that cold you guys keep bragging about in exchange for this wind.

Rick_W
02-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Currently 45 here on the MS Gulf Coast with a forecast low of 30 tonight, high of 55 tomorrow, and a low of 27 tomorrow night.

psharon97
02-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Have you considered stepping into your freezer to warm up?

fgw_in_fla
02-27-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm still there. My wife, daughter, and I were recently reminiscing about that blizzard. The daughter was 2 months old at the time when there were no cell phones and no one had heard from husband/father for something like 10 hours because I was stuck on the Long Island Expressway where I eventually abandoned my car in the middle of the roadway. I did make it home when a chap on Rt. 110 in a VW Beattle picked me up and got me close enough to where I could walk home. Desperately want to move to Fla....wife won't hear of it. At least I've got a decent snow blower now.

The one image that really stands out about the '78 storm is driving down Rte. 109 looking for a place to buy bee.....ahhh, I mean milk and the snow was 8 feet hi along the single lane cut in by the plow. It was like driving in a tunnel. Intersections were a real scream since none of the signals worked and you couldn't see it if it did.
I recall burning everything in the fireplace I could get my hands on. Power was out, lines were down, house was getting cold.
6 months later I was living in Florida.
Never looked back.