PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best 17 cal for the following

stevej
02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
A good long range scope, laser and a bipod. Know nothing about Savage or 17 cal rifles so need some help. This is really for my grandson not me. He like "black guns" I'll stick with 22 LR and thinking of getting a 22 mag for myself but he wants a 17 for a flat and longer distance shooter. Any help? May get me a Henry 22 mag for my "John Wayne". Thanks.

rona
02-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Savage HMR 17 comes in several flavors.
Marlin also has HMR17s
Henry also makes a lever action 17hmr
For long range shooting Bi Pod is good a laser is waste of time.
Scopes lots of good choices Mueller makes a good long range scope 250.00
Its more of a matter of how much money do you want to spend?
If it were me I would buy a 17 HMR bolt action with a decent scope for the grandson Maybe plastic stock and stainless barrel if he is rough with stuff as it would be more durable. I would probably splurge and buy a Henry 17HMR for John Wayne as you could each use the same ammo. In your declining years you could give him your Henry as he would be more inclined to take better care of it.

stevej
02-24-2014, 01:13 PM
He really wants an Alexander Arms 17 Semi military style "black gun" but they had a little extra bill come in and the result is that it cost him his gun money. So he is thinking of taking a cheaper bolt action and kind of making do with that until AA gets all the bugs out of the semi 17. Me I like wood and metal, have a H001 Henry, looked thru about 4/5 at LGS and picked out the nicest walnut. My 1st lever gun and I really like it, goes good with my Single 6. I was looking at 17 ammo and don't think this old retired guy can afford to shoot that stuff. Love the looks of the H001TM 22 mag with octagon barrel, may be my next gun, got to save some more "mad" money.

rsh4364
02-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Savage 93R17-TRR-SR or 93R17-FV-SR,He will love either one.

Jeremy B
02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
A good long range scope, laser and a bipod. Know nothing about Savage or 17 cal rifles so need some help. This is really for my grandson not me. He like "black guns" I'll stick with 22 LR and thinking of getting a 22 mag for myself but he wants a 17 for a flat and longer distance shooter. Any help? May get me a Henry 22 mag for my "John Wayne". Thanks.

Go with a centerfire like a 17 in 223 necked down brass, I think they call it the 17 tactical or 17 practical

Choeppner99
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
I have a 93R17 BTVS and it shoots lights out.

-Chris

n4ue
02-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Henry makes a NICE rifle. My work partner has lusted after one forever and last Christmas, his better half bought him one, in .22lr.
He likes my various .17s, but he whines about the cost.
I work for a friend who is wealthy. He was the first team owner to have cars finish 1 and 2 at the Indy 500. When he was at Indy 2 years ago, Henry was there selling "Indy 500" rifles. He bought one (.45 LC), and has it mounted in a trophy case at his Daytona house, along with his other racing 'stuff'. Never fired, sure is pretty!
One other factor to put into the equation, is the availability of ammo. .22lr has been in very tight supply in the last year. .17 HMR seems to be everywhere. When you take into how some sellers are jacking up the price of .22lr, .17 HMR is close to the same price! At least here in Florida....

Do you reload? If so, you can't beat .17 Hornet. You can get 700 rounds / lb of powder (Lil gun).

I was one of the first in this area to get the new .17 WSM. BIG disappointment.

If he really wants a 'black gun', get him a S&W 15-22. We have 3 and since the controls are the same as the AR-15, it's a great training tool. Even Wal Mart DID sell them.....

Good luck with your choice, be safe and have fun!!
ron

rona
02-25-2014, 11:15 PM
He really wants an Alexander Arms 17 Semi military style "black gun" but they had a little extra bill come in and the result is that it cost him his gun money. So he is thinking of taking a cheaper bolt action and kind of making do with that until AA gets all the bugs out of the semi 17. Me I like wood and metal, have a H001 Henry, looked thru about 4/5 at LGS and picked out the nicest walnut. My 1st lever gun and I really like it, goes good with my Single 6. I was looking at 17 ammo and don't think this old retired guy can afford to shoot that stuff. Love the looks of the H001TM 22 mag with octagon barrel, may be my next gun, got to save some more "mad" money.

In reality you can find 17hmr fed for 10.00 I have seen scalpers demand that for reg 22 ammo.

Lonewulf
02-26-2014, 01:02 AM
around here 17Hmr and 22Mag run about the same $$ don't have a 17Hmr Savage but My Marlin 17 Bull Barrel is a tack driver
got myself a nice 22Lr henry a couple months ago, have not shot it yet

Jeremy B
02-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Henry makes a NICE rifle. My work partner has lusted after one forever and last Christmas, his better half bought him one, in .22lr.
He likes my various .17s, but he whines about the cost.
I work for a friend who is wealthy. He was the first team owner to have cars finish 1 and 2 at the Indy 500. When he was at Indy 2 years ago, Henry was there selling "Indy 500" rifles. He bought one (.45 LC), and has it mounted in a trophy case at his Daytona house, along with his other racing 'stuff'. Never fired, sure is pretty!
One other factor to put into the equation, is the availability of ammo. .22lr has been in very tight supply in the last year. .17 HMR seems to be everywhere. When you take into how some sellers are jacking up the price of .22lr, .17 HMR is close to the same price! At least here in Florida....

Do you reload? If so, you can't beat .17 Hornet. You can get 700 rounds / lb of powder (Lil gun).

I was one of the first in this area to get the new .17 WSM. BIG disappointment.

If he really wants a 'black gun', get him a S&W 15-22. We have 3 and since the controls are the same as the AR-15, it's a great training tool. Even Wal Mart DID sell them.....

Good luck with your choice, be safe and have fun!!
ron

I cannot get myself to promote the 17 hornet as much as I like mine. The ammo is very difficult to find and so is the brass. A post on a different site claims Hornady has no plans to sell any of their new brass as component.

n4ue
02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I cannot get myself to promote the 17 hornet as much as I like mine. The ammo is very difficult to find and so is the brass. A post on a different site claims Hornady has no plans to sell any of their new brass as component.

Hmmmm. I got several hundred pieces of Hornady empty brass from Midway a while back

YMMV, ha ha
ron

Jeremy B
02-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Hmmmm. I got several hundred pieces of Hornady empty brass from Midway a while back

YMMV, ha ha
ron

I was able to buy a few hundred from a guy on another forum and I got 250 factory ammo from Ables not long after I bought my CZ but most searches come up with everyone being out of stock