PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Pistols

Appleseed
02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Rubbing the crystal ball, what if rimfire ammo became available again, and was priced right? What do you think about a .17hmr pistol with a second .17 wsm cylinder, (the latest greatest 3000fps ammo) ?

Freedom Arms has the 97 frame ready. So far looks like Savage is the only current manufacture with the B Mag rifle. Don't know if Ruger, S&W or Tarus make a .17 hmr that could be converted?

bflee
02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Looking at the bmags for sale on armslist makes me question their longevity.

OhioVic
02-26-2014, 08:09 AM
I haven't heard anything about a pistol in 17WSM. I think the new round will stick. I was told that another major manufacturer is going to produce the 17 Winchester Super Mag as well. I have a Savage Bmag that I bought new for $279. I thought it was worth the shot for that price. I added a laminated stock, bipod, and 6x24x44 scope. Nice rig that will drop a coyote.

Savage will be adding a heavy barrel rifle this summer. Franklin Armory has an AR style rifle that will be out this summer. Volquartsen has their rifle ready. Winchester has their single shot rifle. I have also seen some Thompson Contenders in 17WSM. I am not sure if they are factory barrels, or if they have been reworked.

I compared the cost of 17WSM and 17 Hornet. I reload, and even after accounting for the lower cost of reloading some rounds. The rimfire was more cost effective. Right now I am paying $17.89 for a box of 50. 25grain.

Hopefully with some time there will be some match grade ammo.

Appleseed
02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd like to see a single six or single nine with this cylinder interchange, maybe a 7.5-10" barrel, or a striker? The freedom arms is out of my price range. I'm gonna keep tabs loading the .221fb striker and see what it costs. When .17hmr showed up here several years ago, they were $14+/50, now they are less when you can find them.

Interesting that savage went out on a limb and tried the 5.7 X 28 and the 300aac blk rifles, if only as a test, now the .17wsm.