PDA

View Full Version : savage pressure testing

earl39
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Ok guys and Sharpshooter for sure. I have looked and can't find an answer for this. Does Savage use two different testing standards or just one for their pressure testing? I know the US uses sammi and overseas uses cip. All firearms sold as civilian arms overseas must pass the cip test standards so does savage use an outside source for the test or do the test themselves before shipping them and do they use the same test for all firearms or do they separate the domestic and overseas rifles prior to testing?

02-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I would expect that primers and/or cases would give out long before the guns failed ... no?

It doesn't seem like 65ksi, which I think is about the highest SAAMI max for any cartridge, would do much to these actions.

Are rifles still proof tested? I think there are proof marks on my Win 70 barrel from 1981, but I can't seem to recall seeing anything I recognized as proof marks on my Savage 12...

sharpshooter
02-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Every rifle that leaves the plant is proof tested. Some rifles that are manufactured specifically for export will be proofed at the destination, as per the national laws pertaining. Any firearms coming into Great Britain will be proofed at the Birmingham Proof House.(ancient law that dates back to the 1700's)
It really depends on where they are going. The proof mark is a SP with a number such as, SP2. SP means "Savage Proof", the number is that assigned to the worker doing the proof testing.