PDA

View Full Version : Convert Long Action 6br to 223

Hosted
02-22-2014, 06:48 PM
I wanted to see if I could get your help on switching my new rifle over. I recently picked up a long action flat back in 6br and want to change it to 223 for F/TR this summer. I'm going to keep all of the 6br components to one day switch back but would like to work with the 223 this year. I know I will need a barrel and long action bolt head that will fit but have also seen something about a firing pin extension nut. I just wanted to see if there was anything special with this extension nut or if there is anything else I will also need. Thanks in advance.

bootsmcguire
02-22-2014, 07:24 PM
The nut just takes up the space difference between the stem lengths on the SA and LA bolt heads, thus allowing you to use SA bolt heads on a LA bolt and receiver.

If you can find a 223-LA head that's the best way, the Extension Nut is the next best option, and then I have heard about people using precision washer to take up the space. Haven't tried the washer option yet myself so I can't speak for it.

There was a couple of LA 223 bolt heads for sale in the classifieds here, first time I've seen any up for grabs in a long time.