PDA

View Full Version : Right or Left action build??

Nor Cal Mikie
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
First off, I'am right handed. Not a hunter, just a bench shooter. I'am thinking of another build. ;D Why not build off a "left hand" action? Right handers grip the stock with their right hand. If you build off a left hand action, you could open the bolt with your free left hand while you kept your right hand on the stock and in my case, in the thumb hole.
The new target actions are "right hand" so you still need to remove your right hand from the stock to open the bolt.(even if it ejects or feeds from the left)
I'am not thinking speed, just comfort. The rifle will be held steady with your right hand.
Same thing if you're a lefty. Build off a right hand action so you can operate the bolt with your free hand while you grip the stock with your left.
I've got this stuck in my head and need to get it sorted out. Any opinions? Pro or con? Thanks for any and all input, Mike.

82boy
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I have shot left handed guns right handed, and lets put it this way old habits are hard to break. It is far from comfortable, very awkward, I am sure with use it would become more natural. Some thing don't make since but they have been done that way for a reason, just like golfing, or batting.

I am sure there are a ton of left handed people, that have shot right handed guns, because that is all that is available, from what I gather when they get a left handed gun they are in heaven, it just feels right.

The reason why the target actions have left feeds, is because it is for a two handed operation. As the right hand is working the bolt the left hand is grabbing and feeding a shell. Here is the problem with a left feed and eject gun shooting right handed; the bench is smaller, and unless you take the ejector out and pick the brass out you are ejecting them on the ground, on a right eject you have some bench space and it is possible to trap all your rounds on the bench. Something else you have less bench to place you shell boxes to load from.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I single feed with no ejector so I don't end up chasing my brass. I "do" get your point. And opinions are what I'am after. Thanks, Mike.

Blue Avenger
03-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I shoot left handed and all my bench guns are right handed. the free hand runs the action and the port is where I can see into it. when I shoot a left hand gun at the bench i can not hardly see the port let alone into it.

My .308 has a snug bolt head and no ejector. the case stays in all the way back and I pull it out of the head :)

set one of your right hand guns over like your are going to shoot it left handed and look at how things look to you. left hand gun would look the same from your right side.

right hand left port would also work if your ok with using both hands. one of the reasons a lot of strikers were turned into bench rifles. left bolt, right port for the bench guys.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I'am thinking right thumb hole stock, left hand action. Left hand will pick the fired case off the bolt head. Right hand will stay in the stock thumb hole. Not thinking speed as much as comfort.
I'll try switching right bolt rifle to left and see how the rifle feels. Never thought of that. ;) Thanks Greg.

Blue Avenger
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/casedump-1.jpg

dnunn
03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm a left hand shooter, and for most guns, I prefer left hand actions, just for the chance that I would hunt with it and might need a quick follow-up shot. The left hand action is quite natural even though I am naturally right handed. I even shoot handguns, righthanded.

But for bench shooting, I think you make an interesting observation. I almost always single feed each round, inspect the fired brass, load the next round, etc. Using a right hand action, it's much easier for me to catch the fired brass and load the next round, without moving my 'shooting hand.' And even more, the recoil of my .270 sometimes causes the bolt handle to hit my hand--that can't happen with a right action.

Despite these advantages, nearly all my bolt guns are left handed! In fact, I just purchased a 30-06 from a local owner, only because it was a left action. Yes, old habits are hard to break.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-13-2010, 02:39 PM
And yes Greg, a drop port would be another consideration. A left hand action mounted in a right hand stock. ;)

Rooster 50
03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I did what you are saying only from the other side. Shooting rt handed rifles left handed. Then I built a left bolt right port rifle on a striker action and got the best of both worlds. What you are proposing works and works well.

Blue Avenger
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
And yes Greg, a drop port would be another consideration. A left hand action mounted in a right hand stock. ;)

most of my bolt heads would never get the empty back to the port. there dropped about as soon as they clear the chamber

Nor Cal Mikie
03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
On my rigs, 22BR, 6BR and .221 Fireball (with the ejector pin removed) the brass will stay on the bolt head all the way back to full open till I pick the case off with my fingers. No chasing brass. ;)
And I'am thinking about going a little further on the build. Getting a new left hand repeater action and sending it out and having a piece welded in to make it a single shot. More bedding area, stiffen up the action and besides, it's only money. ;)

rego
03-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I shoot left handed and would never even consider a left port bench gun. Almost all of the bench is to the port side (not nautical port) for brass and ammo with a right port for me.