PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Brand New 93R17 T-R

Silvercrow1
02-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Tonight my Savage 93R17 T-R came in and that puppy is now in my hot little hands. WHAT a cool stick! I'm at work where everyone except a secret few of us know that guns WILL hurt ya! Maybe keel ya. ALL BY THEMSELVES. Snuck over to the LGS, rushed through the paperwork, cool guy at the State Police instant check hotline. And as Thoroughgood says in One Burbon, One Scotch and One Beer "...and out the door I went...!" Lee Hooker said it first but you get the idea.

Mo' betta report to come. All I can say is I'm lovin' the stock, the tac-style bolt handle and the overall profile. Works smooth and will only get better. NEED to get the scope in (and on). Went with a Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot. Scopage due in Wed.

Need to figure out ring heights- gonna use the Weaver stlye bases on the rifle for the time being.

LOTS to look forward to- Spring shooting, Spring hunting, Spring reloading, the .22LR experiment. Hog Hunt in Fla. in May, Volusia County! Yeah! GONNABEAGOODTIME! :eyebrows:

More to follow on the new .17HMR.

Brian

n4ue
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Brian, you're gonna love that rifle. I found one at my lgs that one of the young employees had for sale. It came with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 mm optic. I am not a Nikon fan, but..... the price was right.
I also have a couple of the Mueller scopes you mention and they are very, very nice scopes.
Mine shoots fantastic. However, I have to keep asking myself why did Savage NOT use this platform for the B Mag?
I have a B Mag and it's frankly a joke. I don't even shoot it any more, since my M25 17 Hornet is MUCH better.....In every way, and you can reload the .17 HH as well.

Have fun!

ron

Silvercrow1
02-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Brian, you're gonna love that rifle. I found one at my lgs that one of the young employees had for sale. It came with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 mm optic. I am not a Nikon fan, but..... the price was right.
I also have a couple of the Mueller scopes you mention and they are very, very nice scopes.
Mine shoots fantastic. However, I have to keep asking myself why did Savage NOT use this platform for the B Mag?
I have a B Mag and it's frankly a joke. I don't even shoot it any more, since my M25 17 Hornet is MUCH better.....In every way, and you can reload the .17 HH as well.

Have fun!

ron

Hey Ron-

Thanks for the encouragement! I intend to enjoy it! Funny, I never had any interest in the BMag. Then after reading all the horror stories...no thank you very much!

So I'm looking into getting a Forstner bit to go a pillar bed; scope as already mentioned.

I'll give a report but my

n4ue
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
I forgot to mention that I have three .17 HMR rifles. Two Marlins and the Savage. Also two Taurus revolvers in .17 HMR. The only reason I mention this, is that all the HMRs are super accurate and never gave me any grief like the B Mag...... After you shoot it, take a look at the fired brass. Compare it to the unfired and you will see it expands pretty good. Hard to believe that round can be that accurate. All 5 guns look the same......
BTW, the local Southern States farm store has had a supply of the HMR ammo, for the first time in a looooong time. $14, not bad.

ron

rsh4364
02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Have a 93R17-FV and love it,recently dropped it into a Boyds thumbhole,looking forward to decent weather so I can see how it does!

Silvercrow1
02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
YEAH! I've got big aspirations for this gun (and me!:redface-new:)

I really liked my Marlin xt17- but the upgrades I wanted to do to it exceeded the cost of new. Plus the Savage seems, particularly in the bolt / boltface are, to be more robust...

Choeppner99
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Definitely want to hear how this one performs. Been thinking of getting one as I like the stock.

Silvercrow1
02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Definitely want to hear how this one performs. Been thinking of getting one as I like the stock.

That was one of the big selling points for me too! McMillan style, and sorta like the Boyd's Tacticool. Scope should be here tomorrow. I'll be doing my best to get out by Monday to get it "shot-in"! Brian

Choeppner99
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
What rings did you go with for your scope? On my BTVS I went with Medium Height rings and the largest optic I could put on was a 42 without it touching the Barrel?

Silvercrow1
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Choeppner99;246131]What rings did you go with for your scope? On my BTVS I went with Medium Height rings and the largest optic I could put on was a 42 without it touching the Barrel?[/QUOTE

Good question- I did not select rings yet. The gun comes with Weaver "style" mounts. I don't know whether EGW has a one piece base for this model (gonna call them- they are located within 5 miles of my home) and of course I want to keep the objective bell as ole to the barrel without touching. IF I get the one piece mount, I have read I might be able to use low rings - but again that's just what I read. I wish there was a more definitive way to determine this.

I love the Burris Sig. Zee rings- but I believe in 30mm they only have medium and low. I also really the Warne rings...

Sorry- I'm no help here!

Brian

Choeppner99
02-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Gotcha. I went with the Leupold Medium Rings. I'll take a pic showing the clearance I have.

-Chris

Choeppner99
02-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Here's what mine looks like with a 3X9-42 Scope.

-Chris

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/MACHINE_Putters/Private/Scope1.jpg (http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/MACHINE_Putters/media/Private/Scope1.jpg.html)
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/MACHINE_Putters/Private/Scope2.jpg (http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/MACHINE_Putters/media/Private/Scope2.jpg.html)

n4ue
02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Nice close fit.
FWIW, I have some EGW one piece bases and they are great. Weaver makes one also that is about the same height as their 2 piece bases (nice and low).
No problem with either. I recently switched all my bases over to one piece. Why?
'cause I am a die hard tinkerer and have a bunch of spare scopes. This lets me swap them around without messing with the rings.

ron

Silvercrow1
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Nice close fit.
FWIW, I have some EGW one piece bases and they are great. Weaver makes one also that is about the same height as their 2 piece bases (nice and low).
No problem with either. I recently switched all my bases over to one piece. Why?
'cause I am a die hard tinkerer and have a bunch of spare scopes. This lets me swap them around without messing with the rings.ron

Great idea! I ended up getting a second scope- a SWFA 12x42, and I KNOW that I'll want to switch them around, not only on the rimfire rifles, but on the centerfires too. I wasn't much of a tinkerer...until I fell head over heels with Savages. I' ve got a Nikon Bushmaster 4.5-14x40 on my 110 LA .223; a Bushmaster 6-18x40 on my Hog Hunter .308; a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire BDC 150 on my MKII (bought a Mueller 3-18x42 to replace that- wanted more power and a fine crosshair) and for my new 93R17 TR the SWFA 12x42. In the end, who knows what will end up on what gun. Lots of fun swappin' and shootin' in the meantime! "Happy Happy Happy"!

Here's what mine looks like with a 3X9-42 Scope.

-Chris

HOO-HAA! Thats what I call close! Any closer and you'd have a "lands and grooves" border around your sight picture. VERY cool!

Brian

Choeppner99
02-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Dangit...Now you got me thinking about changing my base as well.

Yep. That's as close as I could get to it. Was worried putting it on there as it was touching till I tightened the rings down.

-Chris

Silvercrow1
02-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Dangit...Now you got me thinking about changing my base as well.

Yep. That's as close as I could get to it. Was worried putting it on there as it was touching till I tightened the rings down.

-Chris

Yo Chris (and "All-Ya-all") The Mueller scope came in today. Only had 15 minutes to look her over before going to work. BUT SO FAR SO GOOD! More details later.

Chris- I went up to EGW this AM, and glad I did. I decided to go with the one piece EGW base "0" MOA. Got two because I'm gonna re-do my MKII Classic also. Started talking to "George" about the guns, my intentions etc. I stated that I really liked their 30mm rings- the regular not the HD, but that they were still a little pricey. Told him I usually use the Burris Sig. Zees but would have to order them.

George went into how carefully they machine the rings; that lapping isn't necessary etc. Then he brings two sets out- ".840" I think he said- 30mm kinda look like Warne rings. They had been done for a client and the client didn't like the finish. I'm pretty picky and I couldn't find anything wrong. He guarenteed they were mechanically and measurably "sound" and sold them to me at $20.00 off each! Great guys up there!

Anyway- got the base mounted on the 93R17TR, and am gonna mount the scope tomorrow. As soon as (IF?) my other scope sells, I'll be doing the same to my MKII. WHHOOO-HOOO! Exciting new stuff for me.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the 93 mounted up tomorrow.

Thanks for listening- I'm like an excited little kid...
Brian

Choeppner99
02-26-2014, 11:00 PM
You lucky dog. LOL Can't wait to see the new setup.

Definitely might have to do this next month, heck..Might even give me an excuse to buy a new rifle. LOL

-Chris