PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start simple reloading and have questions

Hillbilly
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I've pretty well made up my mind that I want to start reloading,because with the prices,and unavailibility of ammo I cant enjoy my guns like I'd like..I have a couple of questions ,..Is there one powder that works well with 222 Rem,250 Savage,and 243 Win,and if yes does it also do good in long action hunting rounds such as 270 Win,or do I need different powder...I have my eyes on two different start up kits,one is Lee precision challenger kit for around $125,and one is Lee Precision Anniversary challenger 2 for about $130 any opinions on these kits ?....Thanks

bootsmcguire
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
First as to the kits, Lee Kits are a good economical way to get started handloading. Are they the best, no, but very serviceable and a good value for the money.

As to your powder question, there are a few variables that make the answer to that a bit difficult. I would look through your loading manual (I like this one (http://leeprecision.com/modern-reloading-2nd-ed.html) for general reference work such as this) and see what powders you find compatible with the chamberings you wish to load for.

Off the top of my head, for the 222, 250 Sav, and 243 I would look at Varget and/or RL15 and see how they rate with the bullet weights you are wanting to use. I ran some 120gr bullets in a 250 Sav and some 100gr in a 243 and both of those seem to like RL19, but the lighter bullets seemed to favor Varget.

FWIW when I first started out loading I tried to consolidate and keep to one powder for rifle stuff (I was loading 30-06, 22-250, and 308 with plans to move into 30-30 and 223) and I found at that time that Varget was listed as at least decent for all of those so I ran with it. Over time I found it was a good all-around choice working decently for most, but not optimum. I still use it exclusively in my 308, 6BR, and 243AI and for most loads in my 22-250.

the Ranger
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
you can find a powder that will work in all of those cartridges, but you will likely be giving up speed and/or accuracy in at least some of them.

the LEE kits are a great thing for some wanting to started.

Hillbilly
02-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Well I sure do thank you, I play more with the smaller calibers and only shoot the bigger ones when I'm checking to make sure their still lined in,and to hunt with...Until I retired back in July I had no intrest in recreational shooting .I just liked to hunt,but now I'm needing a hobby

Tantor
02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
The Lee Anniversary kit is another option. Unless they have changed to name to one of the ones mentioned above. Pretty much just need dies and you're good

Hillbilly
02-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks Tantor..I think that may be the one I buy..They have one called Anniversary challenger 2 for $131 that I'm assuming is about the same thing...I'm gonna start looking for dies too.,,Do I need to look for shell holders,or does the more popular sizes usually come with the kit?

bootsmcguire
02-21-2014, 06:22 PM
If you are buying Lee Dies then the applicable shell holder comes with the die set (except with the RGB Series). I think they sell a full set of holders separately as well if you prefer.

If you are buying most any other brand of dies then the shell holder is sold separately.

Hillbilly
02-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Well I ordered that press kit,and Gonna go see what kind of powder I can find at Walmart next time I'm in town..I know they sell Hodgdon,but I don't know if they sell IMR..I think I've narrowed it down to either Hodgdon 4895,or IMR 4064 as being something that I could use on all my guns..Am I making a mistake with these choices?.........I was studying this website from Hodgdon http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ ,and seen a powder called Hodgdon cfe223 that seems interesting too ...

bootsmcguire
02-22-2014, 01:26 AM
cfe223 is a relatively new that was originally designed for 223 gas guns (AR's and other "black" rifles) and supposedly keeps them cleaner longer.

People have been using it for other chamberings and sounds like quite successfully, and Hodgdon is putting out data for other stuff as well. I've heard its worth trying but haven't tried it myself.

H4895 is a fairly versatile powder and will probably treat you well. May not be the best choice for all of them, but certainly won't be the worst. Should be a safe and reliable choice to start with.

Jetpig
02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Boots beat me to it. H4895 I think is the answer you seek... You should see real good accuracy in all of your choices with this.

I am not familiar with either kit you are looking at but in my opinion Lee is weak on the powder scale end of things. I would go online or to a pawn shop and try to find a used press (and dies) of any major manufacturer. You can usually find them for dimes on a dollar and a press is a press. Unless someone has run over it with a cat, you are not going find one mess up. With your savings, step up a notch on your finer components like scales, trimmers, etc. Not bashing Lee by any means but I am a RCBS/Redding supporter.
Welcome to the addiction!

Hillbilly
02-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks again,It sounds like that H4895 is pretty popular,so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.. I kinda figured that CFE223 was something popular for 223s,but that stuff sure looked good in a 250-3000,and in a 222..I may pick up some one day but for now I'll go with the H4895.
Too late on the press kit,I already ordered it .It's probaly good enough for me anyways..I reckon if I really get in to reloading I'll get better equipment...I don't need no scales anyhow,I'll just eyeball the powder.Just kidding.

Hotolds442
02-22-2014, 11:52 AM
My guess is that you WILL have trouble finding the powder you want, and have to settle for something else due to availability. Powder is pretty hard to get right now, so have an open mind on more than one powder choice when you go shopping.

Hillbilly
02-22-2014, 04:11 PM
My guess is that you WILL have trouble finding the powder you want, and have to settle for something else due to availability. Powder is pretty hard to get right now, so have an open mind on more than one powder choice when you go shopping.
You'r right I went to Walmart,and they had a whole shelf of powder ,but it was all IMR4064..I bought 1lb of it,and a box 22 V Max,and a box of 243 V Max..I was afraid to buy 25s there because 100s and heavier were all I could find .I've always shot Remington psp 100 grain in my 99,and it is accurate,and makes nice round holes,but I think what they had were possibly longer..I'm gonna look at ebay for dies,and if they don't beat Walmarts prices,and ship them free I'll buy new ones..Walmart has the 243,and 270 on the shelf in the low 30 dollar range,but I'm still debating reloading 270s .I;m not sure it would be worth it ,,I've been checking bullet prices and how much powder each shell uses,and have come to the conclusion that reloading the small stuff saves you the most especially the old hard to find stuff,...Thanks for the help.

emtrescue6
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
IMR 4064 is the only powder I have consistently seen on the shelves recently...which is better than no powder at all...which has been the norm for over a year now. I picked up an 8 pounder of it just because my lgs had it recently at a ok price.

If it were me, I'd be cautious of buying used dies on ebay...new dies can be had for around $32 and the cost savings of buying used dies just doesn't add up, unless you get them real cheap. Low 30's at Wal-Junk isn't bad at all...I think they run around $32 (plus shipping) from Natcheze and Midway generally...although Midway has a ton of dies on their clearance.

Powder, primers, lead and brass still aren't easy to locate....