PDA

View Full Version : factory savage 110 30-06 w/accutrigger

Pages : [1] 2

Txboy
09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Guys,

I'm going elk hunting next month and wanted to get your imput on the following:

My factory (out of the box) Savage 110 30-06 w/accutrigger (with Leupold 4x12x40) is giving me about 1"-1.5" groups consistently with Hornady 165 btsp ammo, 55 grains IMR 4350, WLR primers and Winchester cases. I'm shooting off sandbags from a bench/table. I've been away from the gun scene awhile and am wondering if this considered good accuracy or can I change something to improve?

BTW, I tried different 180 grain bullets but they didn't group well at all (6+" at 100 yards) and neither did the 165 partitions and 165 Speer Grand Slams. That's too bad because they looked like pretty wicked bullets and everyone speaks highly of them.

The gun seems to stay on zero and I recently used it to pop a big boar hog at approxitmately 175 yards that went down with one shot. If it can kill a big boar hog it can probably handle an elk.

Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

358Hammer
09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Group seems a bit large from my experience. Only you can say if the scope is exactly on target when the trigger is pulled. In other words "zero" crosshair movement. Any movement when the bullet travels towards the target and groups suffer.
Is your group semi-semetrical in that all holes in the paper are close to equal distance from each other? Are they pretty much on the same plane left to right? After the first shot are they consistently printing or climbing higher?

Neal

Txboy
09-03-2009, 06:44 PM
All the holes appear to be in the same area. However, now that you mention it, I do notice my crosshairs moving ever so slightly prior to each shot. Of course I'm shooting off sandbags and not a gun rest. I'll concentrate more on keeping still and see how that works. Thanks for the advice.

Cycler
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I think a combination of magazine writers exageration and .223/.308 heavy barrel target rifle reports have given us way to high expectations as to what an over-the -counter rifle will do.

My take is that routine and reliable 1"-1-1/2" groups are fine accuracy from any hunting weight rifle. I'm surprised it doesn't do as well with other 165 and 180 grain bullets but if what you are getting with the Hornady bullet is that kind of groups, use them.

GUNFANATIC
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I agree that those are respectable groups. FWIW: I've found that my Savages have always favored Barnes TSX. If you have a gun that "likes" them, there's no better hunting bullet.

358Hammer
09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/P6210002.jpg

Some of us demand more

Der Verge
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
The accuracy you are getting should be ample as long as you keep your hunting range reasonable (say, sub 400 or so yards). Can the gun do better? I am sure it can, but the vitals on an elk are a bit bigger than the size of a quarter. Also, 165gr BTSP rounds from an -06 should be plenty for elk.

setterman
09-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I think you should check a couple of things:
1- check the paralex of your scope. If its off then your group will be a litlle larger

2- monkey with your powder. Go up ( if you arent maxed out) or down on your amount. I have a .257 Roberts with a 19" factory contour barrel that I get 5/8 groups with @ 100yds. It initally shot a tick over 1" and i monkeyed with powder (cut back ) till i dialed it in at 5/8, and still had good velocity.
Just a thought and relay of my xperience.

Charleslv
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
OK lets think about this?
1. Gun is accurate enough to take elk as is. (I have taken several elk up to 300 yards with a gun that shoots a 2" group at a 100 yards. However I could always hit a paper plate at three hundred no problem.)
2. Can the gun be more accurate? Yes you could do the following:
Glass bed the action
Lapp the scope rings
Neck size ammo
Seat bullets .05 groves
Work your powder charge up and down based on performace
Get up set because you missed hunting season becuase of the following ;D

Honestly I would set up Paper plates as is out to 500 yards when you no longer can consistently hit the paper plates that is your limit on the current configuration. The good news if you see Elk at 400 plus yards you should be able to get within 300 to make the shot.

setterman
09-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Very good point. CONCUR

Cycler
09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/P6210002.jpg

Some of us demand more

Sure, many shooters do and have the time and resources to obtain it. However, the OP is going Elk hunting and any rifle that will group in 1-1/2" or better is plenty suitable.

He can probably improve the accuracy a lot if he wants to modify the rifle, do extensive load development, etc. but, for his present requirements it's more than good enough.

Charleslv
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
After Elk Seson all bets are of and 1 1/2" is un acceptable. I would then start with bedding the action then move to a Kenfarrel Base and rings. Neck size all my ammo and seat .05 of the groove. Adjust my powder untill I get one hole at 100 Yards. That way you have at least 6 months before thenext big game hunt. ;D

Txboy
09-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Great advice guys, thanks a bunch.

I havn't tried the Barnes tsx bullets but I've been wanting to do so. I may buy a pack just to see how they fly from my rifle.

Also, I'm sure my rifle is plenty accurate for hunting game but I just thought I would ask what everyone else was doing to improve their groups. There's nothing wrong with tweaking your gun to improve accuracy. I believe that's what makes this hobby fun.

BTW, I've used my bow to shoot bull elk, deer, pigs, javelinas and this year arrowed a double bearded turkey at 12 yards from the ground using ASAT camo (great camo). I'm sure I can get within reasonable shooting distance of a bull elk while hunting with my rifle. I do notice my bullets hit pretty hard for a 165 grain bullet. It sure did a number on that big boar hog and he was a big boy.

Again, thanks for all the friendly advice.

Eric in NC
09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree with Charles - see how far away you can hit a paper plate from the type of rest/stance you will probably be using (bipod, kneeling, standing, over a log, etc.). That then becomes your range limit.

Back in the old days (1980 or so for me), I was happy with honest, repeatable 1.5" groups at 100 yards from a hunting gun and REALLY happy with 1" groups.

DGD6MM
09-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I did some work on my wife's 30-06 and it is sub 1 inch at 200 yards. I put a brake on it for her and the bullet I built were 165 hornaday spirepoint bt, varget powder, wlrp.

swampcrawler
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I,ve got an older model 110 w/out the accu-trigger, Nikon 4x16x50 glass, thats dead nut at 300yds with Federal Premium 165gr. Nosler Ballistic's. Sounds like you are a reloader, so I,m sure you will get it figured out. Put it in perspective- 1 1/2" (a golf ball) 100yds (a football field) a bull elk (6'tall @1000lbs.) If you can hit a golf ball at 100yds your conserns about shot placement on something the size of a Volkswagen would seem to be time ill spent. Ya know your rifle, ya know where it prints--spend your worry time figuering out how you are going to pack out head, horns, and 600lbs. of meat thru a landscape ya can't hardly walk on--at that point 1/2" high or low, doesn't take on much relevance. Just my 2cents worth. Good luck.

big honkin jeep
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Here's a load that shoots super out of a couple of savage 30-06s that I have and the charge is most accurate tested according to the Nosler guide. I have tweaked it a little and changed the primer they listed as well as the bullet. My out of the box 116 (factory trigger has been adjusted) gives me sub 1/2" with a 165gr Sierra game king (shoots better than the match king go figure) over 57 gr of IMR 4350 with a CCI BR2 primer. An old pre accutrigger pawn shop 110 beater that I bought and tweaked for my son shoots this load equally as well.
it's also listed as a max load (per the nosler guide some other manuals go a little hotter)so work up from about 55gr.
If you have time give it a try it also works great for me with sierra match kings, Noslers accubonds and ballistic tips as well as custom competitions all at or less than 1" but it wasn't as accurate with the Hornady match bullets I tried.
BHJ

Txboy
09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree with you swampcrawler and I'm very confident the current condition of my rifle will be more than adequate for any hunting situation. However, since I'm a novice reloader, I was just trying to gain imput on improving the current groups of my 30-06 rifle. I just havn't been able to find that magic combination that will make it sub moa. I'll have to say though, I had lot's of fun trying to figure it out.

I would say it's me moving before the shot but I have a 270 Remington BDL that shoots my reloaded 130 grain core lokts at 1/4" to 1/2" at 100 yards so I'm sure the problem lies in my reloads.

Thanks to all who have responded and provided all the helpful advice/suggestions. Please feel free to keep them coming.

teddy12b
09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
First things first; good luck on that elk hunt!

Secondly, If you don't have time to work out a new load, don't worry about it. I've never hunted elk, but I've seen them on vacations and they are huge. If you do have time to try out a different load; I'd try some 168gr Barnes Tipped triple shock bullets in that 30-06. I tried some in mine and it shot incredibly well over IMR 4350 with Remington primers.

ajlandis
09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't spend another minute on load development until after your hunt. If you have time to spend on finding a new load, use it instead on practicing with the load you know will do the job. No sense confusing the issue this close to your hunt. And as Charles said, after the season, all bets are off.