PDA

View Full Version : factory savage 110 30-06 w/accutrigger

Pages : 1 [2]

swampcrawler
09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Well Txboy-- I wish you the absolute best on your elk hunt. Wow !! elk bugling in the timber, heavy fog, 7,000ft. on a ridge over looking some of Gods most awesome scenery, don't know who's wheezing worse--you or the horses, living in a canvas walled tent, eating meals fixed on wood fire or coleman--then that perfect shot, 300yds quartering away, slip one in behind the ribs--whump- down like dropping a anvil, 400 scorable points--and the airlines still have the bag with your camera in it--ha, ha. Well thats hunting, and you did it with a SAVAGE--don't get much better than that. You be sure and let all of us know how it "REALLY" turned out.

teddy12b
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
400 scorable points--and the airlines still have the bag with your camera in it--ha, ha.

I about cried laughing when I got that part. That's aweful. DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!

Txboy
09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
That's too funny. Luckily I'm driving and I'll make sure to pack the camera...and extra batteries.

Thanks again guys.

borg
09-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I have been having similar problems with my Savage 110FXP with the accutrigger. I was getting 3-6" groups off of sandbags with all of the 6 different factory loads in 3 different weights I tried. First thing I did: buy a rest. That didn't help. Next I decided to replace the scope and scope mounts. That didn't help. So I bought a Lee Loader and started handloading. I managed to tighten up the groups to about 2". That wasn't much help. Frustrated, I decided to lighten the trigger, even though I didn't really think that was the problem. It was already set to the lightest setting.

So I looked the gun over and over. I pressed and poked and shined a light everywhere. The problem seems to be the stock. It looks like the just a little bit of pressure causes it to touch the barrel on one side. (It isn't perfectly centered. On someone's advice, I positioned a sandbag rest next to the trigger guard so that there was no pressure on the stock past the front action screw. I shot handloads again, but this time with group sizes ranging from 3/4" to just under 1.5".

Savage told me to send it in and they would look at it and possibly restock it for free, but I really didn't want to get another crappy stock stuck on it after my experience. So I went to Midway USA to buy a better stock. Problem is, they don't sell stocks for Savages with centerfeed blind magazines.

Der Verge
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Just as a small reminder, if you do have any worries about how that -06 will shoot while out hunting, just remember that your .270 is a fine elk gun also.....

Txboy
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, I tried the partitions and unfortunately I couldn't get them to group well out of my 30-06. No worries, I pulled out the old faithful Hornady BTSP Interlock 165 gr. handloaded rounds and they grouped very well. I guess they be going elk hunting.

Der Verge, I agree, the 270 will work fine (I've shot Nilgai at King Ranch with 150 gr. core lokts with good results) but I want to use my 06 since my family gave me the gun as a gift. Sure would like to shoot an elk with it.

BTW, I also shot my Remington BDL 270 win. the same day as the 06 and it put 5 of my reloads (130 gr. core lokts) in 1/4" group at 100 yards. That gun can shoot and I'm thinking hard of loading up some 150 grain core lokts just to see how they fly.