PDA

View Full Version : Stock for F-Class build?

mattri
02-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Thinking about building an F-Class rifle off of a PTA and looking at what stock options are out there. Not opposed to basic mods like adding a third pillar etc.

Suggestions?

Balljoint
02-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Try one of the tube stocks that will fit

mattri
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I'll check them out, thanks. A this point I'm leaning toward something more like a conventional set-up for my first attempt.

lal357
02-21-2014, 08:02 PM
i'm shooting the stock hs prescion that came with mine in f t/r works good for me as for my wife and son they shoot a boyds thumbhole that i opened up the channel that is pillared and bedded my open class stock is a heavilie modified byods sporter(now is nice and flat 3" wide forearm). you can spend alittle or alot its what fits your shooting style and your wallet

mattri
02-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. You touch on the crux of the issue. I've had an HS stock, a Stockade Prairie Dog Tactical, a Boyds Prairie Hunter and various factory stocks and liked them all well enough for certain applications. I've shot quite a bit from various field positions hunting and have shot a lot off of a bench but have shot very little prone so the F-Class position is new to me. I want to improve my shooting, and therefore want to get into a comp of some type and this seems the logical route, but don't have a lot to go on when selecting a stock.

kschilling
02-21-2014, 11:49 PM
mattri---- Your one the right path! A functional F Class stock is very different from anything you'll shoot off a bench or in the field. Competitors keep making that mistake. Prone shooting is different from anything else. A proper consistent shooting position in the prone is paramount. This can only be done by getting into the prone with different designs. What works for others, doesn't hold true for you. You might be surprised what really works for you.

mattri
02-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement- guess I'll just have to find a few to try.

CharlieNC
02-22-2014, 09:58 AM
I began working on prone shooting a little over a year ago and standardized on a Choate Tactical stock for a couple of rifles. Practice a lot with the 223 then translate to the 308. With the LOP butt inserts and a couple of different cheek risers I am happy with the fit and function of this stock vs others I tried. It has a solid aluminum v-block for the action and extends through the forearm, which makes for a nice rigid bipod mount using the full-length rail. Tough to beat for the money. Only downside is the finish is a little rough in terms of residual molding ridges, and I have sanded and painted for a nice textured "grippy" finish.

Hotolds442
02-22-2014, 12:01 PM
You might check these out. A little spendy, but built for what you're wanting to do.
http://www.masterclassstocks.com

mattri
02-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Choates and the B&C Medalists pretty well, as mentioned the bedding block is a nice feature and it wouldn't be much work to add a third pillar.

I've also been looking at the Boyds Tacticool- I realize that it may not be on par with some of the other ones mentioned but being a laminate making modifications should be fairly straightforward. Flattening the fore-end, adjusting the toe etc.