PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Boyds Classic stock pattern......

Otony
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Never having handled one, I am curious if the Boyds Classic is more slender than the factory Savage wood stock. My left hand 10 stock, indeed, all Savage wood stocks for the 10 and 110 seem more than a bit chunky through the receiver and forend area.

Is that the case with the Boyds, or do those stocks have more svelte, slim dimensions? I have no problem slimming down my factory stock, and then using RIT and DA to refinish, but I've thought about upgrading my soon to be .257 Roberts Model 10 with a nicer walnut stock. Not real keen on spending the ducats to buy a Boyds only to reshape it immediately.

Otony
02-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Surely someone has both of the stocks in question?

David_4
02-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I have a Boyd's Classic on a Rem 700. My Classic is narrower in the receiver area and a little wider at the end of the forearm.

foxx
02-22-2014, 01:23 AM
From what I can tell, the factory BLIND mag wood stocks are the "clunky" ones.

For my blind mag L/A I just ordered a classic from Boyds in Walnut with checkering and pad. I am HOPING it is not as "clunky" as the factory stocks. Will let you know in a few weeks...

Otony
02-22-2014, 01:41 AM
Yes, perhaps I should have been more clear. I am referring to the blind magazine versions. You are correct, those seem to be pretty "clunky", which is what I hope to avoid. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts once the stock arrives, but surprised that no one has yet come forth with a report.

BillPa
02-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Never having handled one, I am curious if the Boyds Classic is more slender than the factory Savage wood stock.

By taking a few rough measurements on the sides at the widest points.

Mod 14 at the front action screw CF hinged mag : 1.9". - Boyd's Classic SA Blind SF mag : 2.00"
Mod 14 about a 1/2" back from the forend tip: 1.330". - Boyd's : 1.475".
Mod 14 at the wrist : 1.4" - Boyd's : 1.440.

Bill

foxx
02-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Bill.

Otony and I were discussing this in PM's...

I am getting roughly the same dimensions as Bill from a wood stock for the old DBM. According to my eye, this Old DBM stock is not as chunky/clunky/cloddy looking as some of the old factory wood stocks for blind mags.

Therefore, I am guessing the Boyds stock will be more "slim" looking than what Otony (and I) have observed about the factory stocks for the blind mag.

Mine will be here in a couple weeks or so. Eager to see for myself, though.

Bill, how 'bout some pics so we can critique the shape and look of your wife?

-- I mean stock!

BillPa
02-24-2014, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Bill.

Bill, how 'bout some pics so we can critique the shape and look of your wife?

It helps your curiosity any every time I yell at her to come in from another the room she asks if she should bring the bag! :o

Oh, the stocks ?
http://i33.tinypic.com/33wnokm.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/rro2g9.jpg

foxx
02-24-2014, 10:58 AM
LOL!

Thanks, Bill. Those are nice. Can't wait to get mine.

COplains
02-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Bill, I know this is all subjective but how do the stocks feel? If you had never picked one up, grabbed it and shouldered it, fit, weight, balance? Appreciate the feedback. kb

and foxx's opinion does not count!!! hehe