PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge cases don't extract like they should (.223)

outdoorfan
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I've got a Savage action that was previously mated up to a .204 barrel. I took that off and now have a Stevens .223 barrel on it. I shot this rifle some while I was working up a load, but then it got shelved for several months. When I picked it up again I decided to put a feed ramp on the barrel because I was having a hard time getting the bullets to reliably feed. I did it myself, and it is crude. I thought I had maybe taken too much off.

Anyway, it didn't seem to hurt the accuracy any, but I immediately noticed that the bolt would not reliably extract the fired cases out of the chamber. It only works properly a minority of the time. I thought it was the fault of the feed ramp. So, I installed another barrel to test it, and I still have the same problem.

What could be causing this? Clearly, the extractor is somehow not getting a good enough bite on the case head. Any ideas?

docsleepy
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
how are you setting the headspace?

deadeye
03-12-2010, 10:57 PM
This will get a better extractor bite barring no other things are wrong:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=29827.new#new

outdoorfan
03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
how are you setting the headspace?

The bolt easily drops on the go-gauge but will barely drop on the same go-gauge with one piece of scotch tape (the thin stuff). Two pieces of tape and it has no chance.

outdoorfan
03-12-2010, 11:21 PM
This will get a better extractor bite barring no other things are wrong:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=29827.new#new

I'll check that out. Thanks!

EFBell
03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Assuming everthing is clean and properly lubed.

outdoorfan
03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Assuming everthing is clean and properly lubed.

I wouldn't say that everything is super clean. Quite frankly, I'm not that familiar with how the extractor on the bolt works. As to being lubed, I have no idea. LOL!!