PDA

View Full Version : .270 win velocity in 22" barrels

JDUB007
02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Anyone chrono any standard factory loads in there 22+" barrels? I've seen the rule of thumb stating 35fps loss per inch...anyone have any actual experience with their Savages?
i'm looking at putting a leupold cds on my 114 in .270 win and don't have access to a chrono...I would like to have a good estimate of velocity for 130 gr standard loads say core lokts or fusions or the like

Any info appreciated

gmurray
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM
I have a 22" barrel in a Ruger 77 270. Here are a couple of recent factory ammo data points over a Magnetospeed chrono:

Nosler Trophy Grade - 130gr Accubonds - 2940
Hornady Superformance - 130gr GMX - 3150

JDUB007
02-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Thanks
I plan on doing some testing to find best groups in my gun starting with cheap power points/core-lokts for break in
I've been looking at those nosler custom accubonds but not sure I want to spend the $$
Federal makes their 140gr NABs a bit cheaper might be a great all a rounder say deer and elk
what's your thoughts on those bullets on whitetails? range anywhere from 10 yards to 300 I was planning on trying the superformance sst's never considered the gmx
gmx on par with the Barnes ttsx?

SK13R
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
They aren't factory, but I use the 140 grain Accubond. It works well on whitetail and muleys. I'm pushing them about 3050 fps out of my 110 with factory 22" barrel. The bullet seems to stay together pretty well along with some expansion. I just don't like the $$ of them. But then again, I only shoot 3-4 a year. Haha. Haven't had any DRT's but none have gone more than 20 yards either.

Savage6x284
02-27-2014, 08:03 PM
IMO the rule of thumb (35fps per inch) does not apply to the .270 Winchester.

In the six-eight or so .270's I've had I consistently get 105-110fps more in my 24" tubes than I do in my 22" tubes.

Jack O'Connor, and Ross Seyfried have written that their experiences mirror mine.

Of course my experience does not stand up to scientific scrutiny because I've never chronographed a 24" tube and then cut that same tube down to 22" and chronographed it.
That would be the proper procedure but I'm not about to make a perfect 24" .270 into a slug of a 22" .270!:rolleyes:

I love the .270 but I have no desire to own one with other than a 24" barrel on it.
Peaches and cream, Oreos and milk, apple pie and America, they just go together perfectly.

big honkin jeep
02-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Well if you're looking to have a CDS turret made or something I'd chrono your load in your rifle instead of guessing. Maybe ask around at the local range and someone would surely help out. Heck if you had your location listed someone here might offer up some help. (contrary to misguided belief nothing is anonymous on the internet anyway)
Most factory loads will have a velocity listed or available but it's not going to be from your barrel and may be exaggerated.

In my opinion I love the Accubonds though I load em myself. They really put the smack down on game in every caliber I've tried em in.
Also for what it's worth I have found the Superformance with the SST to be somewhat fragile with a jacket that sheds off really fast. That combined with I cant get em to group very well, so after initial disappointment a couple of years ago I steer clear of em. As far as factory loads, The regular old Federal Power Shocks or Deer Thug (bonded) loads do a good job in .270 and group well for me and dont cost a fortune.

Savage6x284
02-27-2014, 09:33 PM
BHJ said it.

For factory ammunition in .270 Winchester the cheap blue box Federal Powershok performs all out of proportion to the cost.
Great speeds, good accuracy, and a proven, reliable cup and core bullet.

emtrescue6
02-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks
I plan on doing some testing to find best groups in my gun starting with cheap power points/core-lokts for break in
I've been looking at those nosler custom accubonds but not sure I want to spend the $$
Federal makes their 140gr NABs a bit cheaper might be a great all a rounder say deer and elk
what's your thoughts on those bullets on whitetails? range anywhere from 10 yards to 300 I was planning on trying the superformance sst's never considered the gmx
gmx on par with the Barnes ttsx?

I use the 140g Nosler AccuBonds in both a 270 WIN and 270WSM....I have had nothing but great results from them on whitetail...last year I took 5 deer with the 270WSM using them...the closest shot was 35 yards on a large bodied 5 point, took a very 112" 8 point a 110 yards, and does at 408 yards, 209 yards and 215 yards...to say I like the AccuBond is an understatement...well worth the cost. Since I started using the AccuBonds about 5 years ago I've not lost an animal...