PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua Action?

shoalwater
02-18-2014, 12:27 PM
So I stopped by Cabelas on way to Austin this morning and was looking through the used rack when I came across a 220. I started looking it over because of the action, it looks to be the same action as the Lapuas. Large shank, enclosed top, larger bolt body(I think), and floating bolt head. I could be wrong, but it looks like you could change the bolt head and screw on a large shank barrel and be up and running. Can anyone confirm what I am thinking?

Hotolds442
02-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I thought the same thing but got distracted while browsing the parts finder looking for a 220 to compare part numbers. I never did get back to looking, and I can't confirm the barrel threads without actually removing one, unless somebody else has that info. It appears that a mag box and follower, a bolt head, and a barrel just might get you there on the cheap, but can't confirm anything yet.

sharpshooter
02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't even think about it.....the 220 is designed for shotgun pressures.

shoalwater
02-18-2014, 09:03 PM
I checked and they are not the same part numbers. I also stopped by Cabelas again on my way back to San Antonio and you can see that they open up the last 1.5" on the rear of the ejection port to allow the brass of the shot shell to clear. I also felt the lugs with my fingers and they do not feel near as robust as a normal rifle, let alone the Lapua actions. So as Fred said above, I wouldn't build on one either. I guess I am just going to have to pony up the cash and by a factory Lapua and just rebarrel after I shoot out the factory barrel.

Hotolds442
02-18-2014, 09:42 PM
The receivers are different, as are the bolt head and components, the firing pin and spring, and the bolt body. The rest of the bolt parts, the large shank barrel nut and lug, and the entire accutrigger assembly are common Savage parts used on other rifles. I wouldn't suggest trying it either.