PDA

View Full Version : new guy 110 build

kaosanddoom
02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
i have a pre accutrigger stagger feed blind mag 30-06 savage 110 as my starting base for a rifle build. i would like to put this in the xlr chassis to start with. does anyone know if the dbm system they use on their chassis will work with the stagger feed action? i emailed them several days ago and haven't heard anything yet. (not complaining, i am sure they have more going on than answering some non customers email about using their product on an older action).

i am also looking at converting to the 300 win mag. any reason this action couldn't handle the swap? going to use a shilen select match barrel, varmint contour, probably 26", from northland.

6.5labs
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Not sure on the mags but no problem with the .300wm but you will need to get new bolt head for the mag bolt face. I would recommend getting a ptg bolt head. Sounds like you are on your way to a great build

kaosanddoom
02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
I got an email response so I thought I would share the information here. The stock xlr chassis will convert a stagger feed to mag feed and use aics mags. It will also accept up to a .312 recoil lug. They will also machine to any size recoil lug at no additional charge.

kaosanddoom
02-19-2014, 10:19 PM
i also got email messages from E.R. Shaw and shilen. Shilen recommended not to go above a 28" barrel as the additional length past there reduces accuracy. any body else experienced this?

er shaw noted that you cannot go above a heavy varmint contour without eliminating the barrel nut, so it requires a gunsmith install. they have offered to install but have not yet responded with price.

just wanted to post these things to further the available information here.

shoalwater
02-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Not sure I agree with Shilen on that statement, what was their reasoning? Plenty of 30" and 32" target barrels out there wining competitions that would probably disagree with them as well.

kaosanddoom
02-20-2014, 12:29 PM
It was recomended to stay at 28" or less due to barrel harmonics. They believe that the small shank action has a harmonic issue past 28" that would negate the advantage of the extra velocity.