PDA

View Full Version : Leupold turn Key Mounts

Luke45
02-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Got a good deal , basically free, for some savage 110 leuopold mounts with the turn key operation. you adjust the windage by adjusting the screws on the back of the mount, and the front scope wring has no screws, its a simple turn key interference fit. Seems kinda.... wierd. Ive never owned these types of mounts before, seems like it would be difficult to mount the scope perfectly level and perfectly strait. and maintain horizontal consitancy at long range. anyone have any advice? am i overly paranoid? rifle will be used to shoot to 1k.

thomae
02-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Folks have been using them for years.
Don't use your scope to turn the mounts. Use a rod (wood is ok, but metal is better) for leverage to turn the mounts.
I would use just a drop of purple threadlocker (the lowest strength) on the azimuth adjustment screws. Center your scope and then use the azimuth adjustment to get it boresighted.

The only thing you might find is that with a short scope, you might not have the front to back room to properly set up your scope for your personal cheek weld. That's a big reason that many folks go with one piece rails.

Also, unless you are using Burris signature Zee rings, I would spend the time (and money to buy the tools, if you don't already have them)to true and lap the rings.

That's my two cents.

sharpshooter
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Those style mounts are some of the weakest on the market. The front ring relies on the interference fit that will become loose the more times you twist it on and off. The rear rings have very little contact surface with the windage screws, and the screws and the rings get deformed the more you screw with them. This makes the whole attachment point weak. Not to mention this style set up is the hardest to get the rings straight.
Do yourself a favor and go with a piccatinny rail and a good set of rings that fit it.
My $.02

RP12
02-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Those style mounts are some of the weakest on the market. The front ring relies on the interference fit that will become loose the more times you twist it on and off. The rear rings have very little contact surface with the windage screws, and the screws and the rings get deformed the more you screw with them. This makes the whole attachment point weak. Not to mention this style set up is the hardest to get the rings straight.
Do yourself a favor and go with a piccatinny rail and a good set of rings that fit it.
My $.02What he said.:thumb:

Luke45
02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
What he said.:thumb:

That was my initial thoughts as well! thanks alot guys, i got them almost for free thats the only reason i got them. I have picatini, or weaver style bases on all my other rifles and they seem like they are on a whole other level