PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: I'm "ALL IN" For Savage...Baby!

Silvercrow1
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Well, I'm not a big rifle collector; matter of fact I have been blessed with four rifles- three of which are Savage (.22LR MK II Classic, an older 110 in .223 and a new Hog Hunter in .308). My .17 HMR was a Marlin...until today. XT17 with satin finish laminate stock. I've been lusting after a Savage 93R17TR for a while. I like the McMillan (?) style stock, fluted barrel, etc. In my opinion it's built better than the Marlin too- noticeable particularly in the extractors / bolt area.

Just for grins I took the Marlin to two LGS's. One was not overly enthusiastic. The other, however, has a new 93R17TR available to order (delivery end of this week) AND gave me a decent trade in on my Marlin 17XT. I AM VERY excited.:cool: My new .17HMR has a laminate wood stock painted black.

Does anyone know if this stock is made by Boyd's or is it a proprietary Savage stock? Kinda looks like the Tacticool...

A Range report will be forthcoming, Good Lord willing and the weather warms up here a bit.

I'll be looking for a new scope too. Gonna look at the Nikons as I've had really good performance from them, also at Millet and Mueller. Funds available for new scopage are about $250.00. Looking for a fine crosshair, and of course clear glass. Feel free to "suggest away". Thanks!

Brian

n4ue
02-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi Silvercrow1. Pretty strange, but I have 2 Marlins and 1 93R17TR. The TR has a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 and it's a nice combo.
As far as the scopes, I have a ton of them, kind of a personal sickness, I guess! ha ha

I have several Muellers and they are very nice, bright and clear. I also have more than a few Millets and absolutely love 'em.
The Millets are all mounted on heavy (center fire) varmint rifles. The only downside (not for me) is the 35 mm tubes and the overall length with a sunshade.
I bought a brand new Nikon Monarch and sent it back because all my shooting buddies thought it was not much better than my Centerpoint ($70) from Wal Mart. Another nice scope for the $, is the Redfield Revenge.
About the only scope that has really disappointed me in the last couple of purchases, has been the Weaver Kaspa. Flat out awful.

ron

rona
02-18-2014, 05:11 PM
The Mueller Eradicator is a good scope Clear and a very small dot in center of crosshairs. Lots of good reviews I've had one for about a year and its stood up well for me. I would say its a very fine scope well worth the money.

Hotolds442
02-18-2014, 05:41 PM
I'll be dumping my 93R17Fv at the first opportunity.
Not at all pleased with the rifle shooting 18" right and 6" high at 30 yards and no more scope travel.

Silvercrow1
02-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Hi Silvercrow1. Pretty strange, but I have 2 Marlins and 1 93R17TR. The TR has a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 and it's a nice combo.
As far as the scopes, I have a ton of them, kind of a personal sickness, I guess! ha ha

I have several Muellers and they are very nice, bright and clear. I also have more than a few Millets and absolutely love 'em.
The Millets are all mounted on heavy (center fire) varmint rifles. The only downside (not for me) is the 35 mm tubes and the overall length with a sunshade.
I bought a brand new Nikon Monarch and sent it back because all my shooting buddies thought it was not much better than my Centerpoint ($70) from Wal Mart. Another nice scope for the $, is the Redfield Revenge.
About the only scope that has really disappointed me in the last couple of purchases, has been the Weaver Kaspa. Flat out awful.

ron

Hey Ron-

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the Millet line- good to hear they are good quality too. There has been more than one shooter that posted the Centerpoint was great for the dollar spent. I'm pretty much decided on the Mueller- either the Eraticator or the Target 8-32x44 (I think those are the numbers). One posting on another board showed an actual photo through the scope- VERY clear and sharp resolution. LOL- interesting "subject" though; a doorway of a house...

I really love my Nikons- two Buckmasters and a Prostaff Rimfire. They all shoot the box well; are accurate, very clear etc- but NO fine crosshair. They make a fine crosshair but I'l be diggity dog darned if I can find a dealer with one in stock.

Brian

I'll be dumping my 93R17Fv at the first opportunity.
Not at all pleased with the rifle shooting 18" right and 6" high at 30 yards and no more scope travel.

YIKES! Bro- did you contact Savage?? I'm sure they'd make that right. Sounds like a receiver/barrel misalignment or other such serious problem..

Brian

rona
02-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Savage is good about replacing a bad rifle. Call or e-mail and explain your problem and odds are they will give you a shipping number for free mail back to the company.

justinp61
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a Mueller 4.5-14 X 40 APT on my MKII, great scope for the money. This is the first mil dot scope I've ever owned and really like it. I like the fact I have hold over points, at 14X on a 25 yard zero the second dot is dead on at 75 yards.

I 'm planning on some longer range shooting so I bought a Konus Pro M30 6-25 X 44 with a mil dot reticle. It's not mounted yet as I don't have the mounts.

One of the things I looked at on an AO scope was the close focal range. The Mueller and the Konus will focus down to less than 10 yards.