PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Savage!

Birddog123
02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, I joined the SS forums a little over a week ago. Been dying to get a decent rifle or at least an action for the Savage. I found a guy asking $750 for his 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm. He was only interested in cash so I had to sell my Browning 270WSM in order to get it. Fair trade-off considering the 7mm will do everything the 270WSM will.. just adding some weight and a little less bullet selection perhaps.

Anyways, I'm pumped! He said he never fired it but I had a hard time believing that until I ran some copper solvent through it and he was right. Also came with a Harris bi-pod. It also shoots great and the accutrigger feels a lot smoother than my Browning.. which I thought had a great trigger too.

My original plan was to build a heavy .308 as a good shooter. I think the 7mm heavy barrel will serve me well though.. I have a Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5-14x50 as my glass. I think I'll send it to Leupold and get the turret knobs for it... I don't think I'll have much use for more magnification anytime soon.

Once I get some 7mm brass and RCBS dies I'll be all set. :D

Hotolds442
02-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Get a load worked up for it and then send off for the Leupold custom dials. They'll be made to your load specs and work very well.

daniel87
02-17-2014, 05:05 PM
On my .308 mod 11, I lowered my accutrigger weight to almost the lightest weight. Bolt opens easier now and the trigger is perfect.

jonbearman
02-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Powder valley has 7mmrem mag in stock right now.