PDA

View Full Version : Need help

new hunter
02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok went to the range today. Took my sled out and bore sighted it at 25 yards. Then went to 100yards. Here is where I have problems. I could not hit paper at all. I seen I was low so up on the adjustment I went. Then I was way to high and to the right. Still not on paper. After about 40 rounds trying to adjust still no paper. What I'm doing wrong help

bnizzel2000
02-17-2014, 04:47 PM
read this tread

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?33471-Sight-in-issue

jalmeter29
02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
I would shoot at 25 yards and just see what its doing. I tried to bore sight once and was 3 feet off.

best way i have found is to come in to 25 yards take 2 shots there dial down to where it should be then backup to 50. It was still 5in high. Dialed down again then backed up to 100 yards. Now was only 4in off. Couple more adjustment and about 10 shots total to get a 100 yard zero every time.

new hunter
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks will do that this sat.

new hunter
02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Aslo I should sight in with the rounds I chose to hunt with right .

jalmeter29
02-18-2014, 12:02 AM
If you have "junk cheep rounds" use those for the first part. Once your on paper at 100 but before making your final adjustments switch to your hunting rounds. Once zeroed at 100 let the barrel get cold. and shoot again to see if the barrel wondered from the heat of shooting so many rounds in a row.

Ideally for hunting you would let the barrel get cold. shoot one. let it cool . shoot one let it cool. and see where this group lands. Adjust scope as nessessary after those 3. then do it all again. you may experience a little wonder from your scope after adjusting it. may take 2 shots for the adjustments to settle in. I have seen this on Simmons, Sightrons and Leopold's, first shot after adjusting sometimes is a "flyer". Most animals don't stick around for the barrel to warm up.

Last note is if you intend to clean your barrel after every time you use it remember to clean between groups. I bunch of times i have zeroed my gun after 30-40 rounds cleaned the barrel and next day the group wondered an inch. solution was to shoot 10-15rounds then it settled into its dirty point of aim. I leave it dirty now, I don't bather cleaning until I go through a box of 100 bullets or more.

new hunter
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. I will take pics. Of the range on sat. And show my group when I do get it on paper.