PDA

View Full Version : AR or AK?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
stockrex, my intended purpose is to, essentially, have a modern tactical 'beater' rifle. A do all kind of setup. I want to hunt, target, and decimate the zombie hordes when the time comes! I want something that can get dirty, rained on, knocked around, and still function properly and be reliable.
My Savages are for staying pretty and pristine:cool:

fireman, I know what you mean by backwoods. There are WAY TOO MANY manufacturers of AR parts now. Seems like I hear a new name every day!

For ultimate reliability you can't beat an AK. You can dump sand in the receiver, drop it in mud and it will still shoot. Can't do that with any AR I know of. There are plenty of decent priced AK's out there.

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
If you now state maybe 9 or 10 then why did you state above that they are still using them?

I left the company in 2001 and forged receivers were the norm long before i left.

You dont like their stuff? Fine. But let's base the argument on facts.

Well I admit that was my bad... I haven't looked at DPMS stuff in years and after your statement I looked it up and that's what I found. If you state you know from experience that they have been selling them since 2001 then I admit my error. I was also stating my personal opinion, we each have our own. No argument intended.

Texas Solo
02-18-2014, 10:33 AM
my intended purpose is to, essentially, have a modern tactical 'beater' rifle. A do all kind of setup. I want to hunt, target, and decimate the zombie hordes when the time comes! I want something that can get dirty, rained on, knocked around, and still function properly and be reliable.

I was going ask what you wanted to do....shoot an accurate rifle or build a lamp.
But given the quote, I'd go with the AK.

mazda3gun
02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm leaning toward the AK after all the research I've done. Just watched a video of an AK being shot in Africa after being buried for 20 years! All the guy did was knock the dirt out, poured MOTOR OIL all over/in it, snapped a mag in and fired!

No videos of an AR performing that way...
But they're just so stinkin customizable, unlike an AK.

Sgtdww504
02-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Almost 20 years in the military and I have not seen an AR fail to function unless it was run over by a HETT at which point it was bent like a banana. And the AR is much more accurate. I have four and two are sub MOA. JMHO

snowgetter1
02-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Almost 20 years in the military and I have not seen an AR fail to function unless it was run over by a HETT at which point it was bent like a banana. And the AR is much more accurate. I have four and two are sub MOA. JMHO
Agree. The hype of AR reliability is born from initial issue M-16s in Vietnam. Have used an M16 and M4 myself in extreme conditions there are no reliability issues. Yes, you do have to clean it once in a while, but it will work. My last deployment to Afghanistan I was an advisor to an Afghan infantry battalion. We saw ALOT of combat in Helmand Province and I saw a lot of AKs break, jam, and fail. Problem, was Soldiers not cleaning them, firing pin breaks, or magazine failures mostly. Our team of 18 never had an M4 fail.

Stockrex
02-18-2014, 04:48 PM
I am an ak fan, the problem I have with ak is finding a good 2 stage or single stage trigger
Other than ak rocks in both price and technology.
Look up aksarben and saiga
He is my husker hero .
I bought my saiga 308 for under $500,

mazda3gun
02-18-2014, 05:30 PM
There's a Saiga 'Hunting Carbine' on GB for $444.95 that ends in less than hour. Imported by RWC?
Has chrome lined barrel, 7.63x39, 16" barrel, 10rd mag
I'm so tempted...

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Without starting an argument, you can't do this to an AR15/M16 without having to strip it down and clean it first. They are built to tighter tolerances and will jam if not kept clean. An AK has much looser tolerances which allows you to get away with this. Yes an AR15 is more accurate and therefore a better platform for accuracy, but he's not looking for accuracy from the sounds of his statements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPbF0kKyc2c

homefrontsniper
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Jp ctr-02

mazda3gun
02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
AZ_NUT, as for accuracy...I feel that if ANY 'assault rifle' is accurate enough to get headshots/bodyshots every round fired @ 100-200yds, it's accurate. And both, the AR platform and AK platform, are capable of both with good ammo and steady hands -from my understanding.
I've heard and read from several sources that an AK is at least 2-3 MOA @ 200 yds. That's good enough for me to deer hunt with in the hills of KY even. There are more upgrades and add-ons for ARs, I know that, but I feel either one will be just as fun to tinker with.

Please correct me if anything I just said is wrong or slightly off kilter. I'm learning from you guys and humbled.

mazda3gun
02-19-2014, 09:48 AM
homefrontsniper, again, I said if I spend over a grand for either one, it will be the Ruger SR556 or SR762. IMO, they're much sexier than any other AR, other than a FN SCAR, and I love anything Ruger!

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
AZ_NUT, as for accuracy...I feel that if ANY 'assault rifle' is accurate enough to get headshots/bodyshots every round fired @ 100-200yds, it's accurate. And both, the AR platform and AK platform, are capable of both with good ammo and steady hands -from my understanding.
I've heard and read from several sources that an AK is at least 2-3 MOA @ 200 yds. That's good enough for me to deer hunt with in the hills of KY even. There are more upgrades and add-ons for ARs, I know that, but I feel either one will be just as fun to tinker with.

Please correct me if anything I just said is wrong or slightly off kilter. I'm learning from you guys and humbled.

Exactly correct in my opinion.

Stockrex
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
FYI: 1stmarine posted his results with an ak in 233 on the highroad and he was getting sub moa.
With the curdy factory trigger without a sling I can keep a tennis ball sized group in rapid fire.
Get a short barrel ak

buxman66
02-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I have purposely stayed out of this topic, but I think I'll plug my take on it. I had a colt A2 in 5.56 and traded it off for a chinese underfolder. All the arguments for both have been made, and I agree w/ both sides. For me....an ak is the only way to go for the 1.ballistics (mass and penetration mainly) 2.functionality (you can be a moron and run it) 3.reliability is incredible 4.simplicity designed for peasants so its not overly complicated to tear down. 5.rugged construction 'nuff said.

AR's have their place. In the hands of a person trained to perform w/it. That is EXACTLY why it is not in the hands of revolutionaries around the world.

Eta: there are junk AK'S out there. Do your research online a good research source is www.ak47world.com I believe. Chinese, Russian, Polish,....some yugo's, some bulgarian, czech's and some romanian. Research will point you to the true military factory made, rifles that were modified for American civilians.

COplains
02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
With the expection of a couple AR's, I've never fired an M-16, M-14 or AK except in combat. When it hits the fan, rain, mud, whatever, I always grabbed the M-14. If it was within 1000yds and a problem, it was gone. Speaking as a former Marine and lifelong shooter.

mazda3gun
02-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks buxman66! That website was a lot of help, and a lot to take in(didn't format well in the browser, had to scroll sideways and down A LOT!). I now know to NOT buy a WASR! lol

I'm still deciding on which platform. Seems it's more difficult to get a kit for an AK over an AR -aka-I can piece together an AR easier than an AK. I'm not wanting to buy something outright, I'd prefer to not throw out a ton of cash right away.

emtrescue6
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
stockrex, my intended purpose is to, essentially, have a modern tactical 'beater' rifle. A do all kind of setup. I want to hunt, target, and decimate the zombie hordes when the time comes! I want something that can get dirty, rained on, knocked around, and still function properly and be reliable.
My Savages are for staying pretty and pristine:cool:

fireman, I know what you mean by backwoods. There are WAY TOO MANY manufacturers of AR parts now. Seems like I hear a new name every day!

If you want a beater rifle, the AK winds hands down. I have both and while I love my AR's, in a SHTF situation my AK will be on my shoulder. An AK will run in pretty much any condition, not true for AR's...That being said, I'd buy an AK already built...

I would also shy away from DPMS parts...I've had nothing but bad luck with their junk...and I have owned and built over 100 AR's probably... Mega Arms, Olympic Arms, Noveske, Spikes Tactical, LaRue Tactical, Aero Percision, Rainier Arms, Rock River...that's where 99% of my parts come from.

Building AR's is an addiction like the Savage flu...once you catch it, it's near uncureable.

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks buxman66! That website was a lot of help, and a lot to take in(didn't format well in the browser, had to scroll sideways and down A LOT!). I now know to NOT buy a WASR! lol

I'm still deciding on which platform. Seems it's more difficult to get a kit for an AK over an AR -aka-I can piece together an AR easier than an AK. I'm not wanting to buy something outright, I'd prefer to not throw out a ton of cash right away.

Back in the day you could buy a complete AK kit for around $150, plus your stripped receiver for another $75 and send it off to your favorite gunsmith to assemble for you and have a beautiful AK for under $500. Now with the ATF not allowing intact barrels to come through with the kits you have to buy a US made barrel. Plus kit prices have gone way up. Which is why I was saying earlier that it's cheaper to just buy an already assembled rifle than to build one these days. Of course that was also back in the day when you could buy a 1,000 rd case of Wolf ammo shipped to your door for $90 and go blasting for the weekend.

thomae
02-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Arkansas or Alaska? Don't know. Never been fortunate enough to travel to either state. I am sure they both have their respective strong points.

(Whew! I've been itching to write that since the thread started...finally got it off my chest! :rolleyes:)

Now :focus:.