PDA

View Full Version : Sight in issue.

Pages : 1 [2]

phoenix1151
04-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I had the same problem with a Savage rifle last year. I thought of the barrel first and the scope second....mistake. Finally, I changed scopes and the problem went away. When I put the scope on another rifle the same problem occurred so it was the scope all along.

I went the other way, doubting the scope first, based on my trust in Savage (at that point) and the fact that the scope was new to me but a cheap used one. However, I've got a brand new Burris on it now. The scope is solidly mounted. I bought two Weaver #48502 (46M) top mount bases and Vortex Hunter 1" medium mount scope rings. Bullet weight to barrel twist rate information suggests the Axis 1:9 should use heavier bullets than the 55g I plan on using.

With the susceptibility to forestock flex and minimal freefloat clearances, I need to focus a lot more on uniform rifle support even though I can get reasonable groups at times. I have read the forestock stiffening threads and will consider this but am appauled that Savage would sell a junky stock like this, and am surprised there isn't a huge backlash. Why should we have to go through this crap with a new purchase? Even if it is a budget rifle, it reflects poorly on all Savage product.