PDA

View Full Version : what to try 25-06

nathan2506
02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
I am wondering if anyone has advise for a factory load. To let you know I will be shooting mostly deer at ranges from 50-400 yards. This is a new caliber for me. the federal blue box ammo will shoot .5 inch groups consistently, but they are no longer making it, and I would like a little tougher bullet anyways. I was really hoping to use the fusion 120 grain, as they work very well in 308. They will not group consistently at all with my fcns 111. I was thinking of trying the gameking and partition, but would love to give the accubond a try…just none around. any thoughts, and experience would be appreciated. I really want the accuracy and consistency….confidence I guess.

darkker
02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm saying this as politely as I can, if you are asking "which ammo is best", you aren't shooting game at 400 yards... You may shoot at it...

Honestly it really doesn't matter. Remington core-lokt bullets are about as reliable as they come. So pick anything you want, and start shooting so you learn your drops.

fgw_in_fla
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I've always had good results with any of the Federal Premium products the few times I've used them. For my 25-06 I use 85gr & 100gr bullets with best results but I use my own home rolled stuff.
Maybe you might want to consider taking it to the next level & start reloading?

LHitchcox
02-17-2014, 12:51 AM
I haven't used a .25-06 on varmints in many years, but 75 grain and 87-90 grain bullets worked well for me. For deer I use 100 grain Nosler BTs and Hornady spire points as well as 115 Noslers and 117 Hornadys.

emtrescue6
02-17-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't currently have a 25-06...but have 3 other 25's (250 Sav, 257 Bob AI and a 25WSSM)...I have pretty good accuracy with just about every bullet weight in all of them and the 25-06 I previously had...that being said, Nosler 100g Ballistic Tips have hands down been the best performer of all bullets in everyone of them. I have also had really good accuracy from 110g Noslet AccuBonds in my 25WSSM...and plan to build a load for them in my 257 Bob AI....As for Remington Core-Lokt's? I wouldn't waste a primer, let alone powder on a Core-Lokt ever again...a premium bullet they are anything but.

I am not even sure what "Federal Blue Box" ammo is specifically (bullet type/weight, etc) as I probably haven't bought 4 boxes of factory centerfire ammo in a decade.

There are several manufactures of premium ammo out there, I'd just look around and find one of them loading the bullet you want and give it a try (I am assuming from your post you do not handload?)...try Federal Premium, Nosler Custom, Hornady, etc...

EFBell
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Start handloading, thats the best advice I can give.
I used federals 117 grain game king loads for a box or two to get some brass years ago. They shot quite well and killed a couple deer for me.

cvrx4
03-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Remington core lokt. 100 grain

big honkin jeep
03-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Federal power shock is still available and 25-06 is shown in stock at quite a few online retailers. They put the power shock ammo in blue boxes and also in burgundy colored boxes but it's the same stuff. If you do decide to handload I would highly recommend the 110gr Accubond pushed by a dose of Reloader 22 and a standard Winchester large rifle primer. Super accurate and great terminal performance from a couple of my rigs.

LHitchcox
03-05-2014, 09:55 AM
My all time favorite deer load uses Hornady 100 grain sport points and H4350 powder. 3350 fps at the muzzle out of a 24 inch barrel and the deer usually bang flop.

scope eye
03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
You need to reload for the 25-06 to get anywhere near it's full potential, and if ever you do start reloading, these three are my go to bullets,
Sierra 70gr Blitz Kings, 75gr Vmax's, and 85gr Noslers all backed by RL17, if I was more affluent I would only shoot those Barnes TTSX 80gr, but it is more for a box of 50ct than they other three for a box of 100, I have bought some a few times and said I am going to keep these for a special hunt, well those special hunts have come and gone, and those bullets were long gone way before I went on that hunt, so much for that.

Dean