PDA

View Full Version : Finally bit the bullet.....

Otony
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
.....and ordered my first after-market pre-fit. I have a left hand, birch stocked Model 10 with multiple personalities, .243, 7mm-08, and .308, all 22" factory Sporter barrels.

HOWEVER! In 12 weeks (hopefully) old Number 10 will have a new "face", a 24" McGowen Sporter barrel in .257 Roberts, with a blue finish and 1 in 10" twist. I've talked about this for a couple if years and decided I wasn't getting any younger (most definitely going in the opposite direction).

Since we decided to rebarrel both the kid's rifles to .257, I figured I would join the club. They have a short action, push feed Model 70 and a Remington 700 ADL, which were .243s. Nice as the .243 is, I've never really warmed up to it. I honestly think it is favored so highly more for its low recoil rather than effectiveness on game. Dint get me wrong, used correctly it works well, but I still prefer the slightly heavier .25 slugs. I may send my .243 barrel off to JES to have it rebored to .358 Winchester, a little thumper wouldn't be a bad companion for the Roberts.

Next on the agenda is to pick up a better recoil lug, and also use a router to cut a channel in the forend, followed by several 1" holes drilled into the butt. Those birch stocks are heavy!