03-12-2010, 02:39 AM
i know variable scopes have a set power range to read the mils correct,
is this also true for holdover points

KRP
03-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Yes.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Only with 2nd plane reticles. With a 1st plane reticle the mil / moa spacing remains the same through the entire zoom range, but the reticle gets "fatter" as you zoom higher, essentially just the opposite of what you would want to happen visually.

Half the power from the 1 mil spacing zoom setting, double the space in mils or MOA between the dots and the size of the dots. Double the power, half the spacing. You can also calculate fractional settings.

I prefer a zoom to be calibrated at 1 mil spacing in the lower power range so that the mil dots aren't so HUGE. I would prefer a 1/4 MOA or smaller dot size at the highest power setting. Even better is to get rid of the old fashioned dots and replace them with nice thin horizontal lines. They used dots in the past mainly because reticles were made of wire. Now days, almost all higher end scopes have laser etched glass reticles so they can use really nice lines like those found on the Nightforce NP-R1 or the Zeiss 1000 yard reticle.

dolomite_supafly
03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
If you are debating on getting a mildot scope, buy one and try it. If you don't like it you can easily sell it. I never thought I would have a use for one but now I can't imagine being without one. It makes time at the range more fun while you are practicing on how to use your scope. I still have a few duplex scopes left on certain guns but for the most part all I use anymore are mildot scopes. You can get them cheap enough now to see if it is something you would like also. I recently got a Hawke Varminter II, it is a good scope for the money. Mueller just announced their APT (All Purpose Tactical) in 4.5x-14x which can be had for less than $150 and is pretty highly regarded already.

Calculating the range is easy with a mildot scope too.

Basically it is:
Target height (it can be in whatever unit you want, yards, meters, whatever)
Multiply the target height by 1000
Divide target height in the scope by the mildots in the scope
The result is your distance in the same unit as the height

Example:
2 meter tall man
Take the 2 meters multiplied by 1000 equals 2000
Through the scope the man's height is 4 mildots
divide 2000 by the 4 mildots
the man is 500 meters away

As I said before this calculation will work with any until of measure. What you start with is what you end with. Once I have my distance I use a cheat sheet for the holdover in mils for a quick way to get on target. For a more precise way you can dial in the holdover using the turrets.

Dolomite

rjtfroggy
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
There are a few web sites dedicated to using mil-dots. The one I found best is www.mildotmaster.com , they also have a ready made slide type tool for learning and using mils, called mil dot master, I know SWFA sells it and I think Midway sells it now or you can get it along with a downloadable course on how to use them from the web site I mentioned. Both of these will be of great help in learning.

DGD6MM
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
On my Nightforce Benchrest the reticle reads at 22 power, which set on that you can shoot tacticals if need be. I'm still in the learning process of a mil-dot. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. :)

tiny68
03-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Go play with this software to learn about your Mil-Dot ranging. I purchased the full version. Very useful in my opinion.
http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Luck, tim

rjtfroggy
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
[quote Go play with this software to learn about your Mil-Dot ranging. I purchased the full version. Very useful in my opinion.
[url=http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html]

I play with this version almost everyday and pick up something new all the time.I also bought the full version plus the mildot master and use them side by side.