PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my rifle a repeater?

eh338
02-14-2014, 08:44 PM
New to the site and hoping to get information to assist me with my rifle. I have a .338 edge (COAL 3.835) in a savage 110 magnum action that is currently a single shot. I have been looking at mulitple sites to get bottom metal and a magazine. I looked at Accurate Mag and was very interested in these but they state on their site if you have the bolt release on your trigger guard that they will not work. Kind of frustrated and would like some advise from the pro's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Eric

KRP
02-14-2014, 10:02 PM
I've only ever done blind magazines but I'm sure the long 338 Lapua or 300 Winchester DBMs could be made to work with the 338/300RUM. Is the current production Savage 338 Lapua not bottom bolt release? If not you could change yours. Where in Idaho are you?

eh338
02-14-2014, 10:17 PM
I live in Nampa, just outside of Boise. So is there a way to change my bolt release from the bottom trigger guard to another location?

frank1947
02-14-2014, 10:36 PM
eh338, I have never seen that gun I assume it has a accu trigger , to change it you would need the part from a upper bolt release trigger or the whole trigger, but if the trigger in your gun is the same as in a action with upper bolt release then you would need that part if there interchangeable , then change trigger guard.

Should you get a trigger, make sure it is a complete trigger with bolt release.

KRP
02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
People have bent the old style sear to clear the action with varying success or you can mill the side of the action like the older ones. I would think the current production Savage bottom metal uses the new style bolt release though and you could just use it. I live in Kuna is why I asked where you were from. I'm not much on DBMs but I'd be interested to know what works for future reference.

eh338
02-15-2014, 12:12 PM
I have heard rumor that CDI makes bottom metal for the trigger guard that has the bolt release on it. Can anyone confirm this? Just curious if no one knows I will be calling Jeff on Monday to see what he can help me with. Thanks again to all that have replied.

bootsmcguire
02-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Can't confirm, but I didn't see anything on their website when I just checked after seeing your post. Calling them would probably be best since I didn't even see where they were showing LA-CF vs LA-SF, but perhaps their Bottom Metal works with both.

D.ID
02-15-2014, 03:12 PM
While I completely understand the urge as I often have it myself. I keep coming back to the WHY? I can not answer it myself.
Everything I shoot with my edge drops like it just got smacked by a train. What would I do with a repeater? 90 grains of gunpowder rapid fire................na.
Just curious if you have come up with any better answers than mine? AND Howdy from Boise/Banks.

Stonewall_Jackson
02-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Aren't single shot rifles more accurate as a rule? The stronger stock and metal around the chamber make them stiffer which means less flex which means more accuracy.

bootsmcguire
02-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Stonewall, normally a true single shot action would be a bit stronger, but not necessarily more accurate. In the case of the OP I believe he has a regular repeater Long Action with a follower that the 338 Edge chambering is forcing him to use it as a single shot so he wants to add bottom metal to have a repeater that works with his chambering.