PDA

View Full Version : 338/375 Ruger

yorketransport
03-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Alright, I know that this caliber has been talked about before on here, but has anyone actually had one made? I'm looking to have a barrel made, but I can't find anyone with the reamer listed. I just happen to have 250 375 Ruger cases, which is more than a lifetime supply for my 375 and this seems like a great use for 100 or so of those cases.

I know that there was an article over on 24 Campfire, but it's not there now. That's the first place that I checked.

Andrew

geargrinder
03-12-2010, 01:09 AM
I've been looking for info as well. Can't find the 338 Campfire article anymore.

Buy the reamer, then sell it to me when you're finished. :)

Apache
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php/topic,3738305.0.html

yorketransport
03-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks Apache. It sounds like I should give PTG a call.

Andrew

yorketransport
03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Well I'm ordering the reamer tomorrow. PTG had two different prints on file, and they sent me a copy of both. One is the S&S Precision version dated, 5/1/2007, which is the 338 Campfire that Rick Bin wrote about. The other print is is marked as the 338/375 Ruger Match from Hornday Mfg. This one is dated 10/12/2009. It looks like Hornady may be working on a legitemate version of this round. The down side though is that the Hornady version bumps the shoulder back nearly .06" compared to the 375 Ruger parent. It would be pretty cool if Hornady legitemized this round, but not if they bump the shoulder back on it. I'll be ordering the S&S Precision version of the reamer. If anyone is interested, I'll email the prints to you.

Once I get the reamer in a few weeks, I'm sending it and my Striker to Benchmark Barrels barrels to get an 18" barrel made, and have them install a Muscle Brake from Centershot Rifles while they have it there. I'll keep every one posted on how the project progresses.

Andrew

geargrinder
03-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I'd like a copy of the prints.

My email is in my profile.

yorketransport
03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
The reamer and headspace gauges are on order. I was told it will take 3-4 weeks to get them to me.

Geargrinder, your email is hidden in your profile. Send it to me in a PM and I'll send out a copy of the prints to you.

Andrew

jrmy_1
03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I'd like a copy of the prints.

My email is in my profile.

Me too please! I don't know if I want to go this route or build an edge......

Teddington
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
The other print is is marked as the 338/375 Ruger Match from Hornday Mfg. This one is dated 10/12/2009.

Howdy,

If you could I would appreciate a copy of this print from Hornady. I'll pm my email, thanks!

Teddington
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you for the print. I am going ahead with the Hornady version with it's longer neck. I've always been told that a caliber-length neck or better is better for accuracy. The .060 shoulder setback isn't going to eat up that much powder space and it's still ahead of the 338 Win Mag. So we shall see.

I may have created a problem at Hornady, it seems. I called for a set of dies for this and the polite but rattled gentleman on the phone wanted to know how I saw this and why Dave Kiff let out their experimental reamer prints to the public. He wouldn't comment about it's production.

So if someone feels the heat on this, point them to me.

358Hammer
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Cool Choice Andrew. It should run just under the Edge in the length of barrel you indicate. depending on powder used. You should have a very efficient cartridge that will burn 100% of the powder.
The Edge in my 19" Benchmark has a burn efficiency of 99 using H4831.

Neal

yorketransport
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Teddington, I'm just using 338 RCM dies to size the neck. When I need to full length size the body, I'll just remove the decapper from my 375 Ruger dies. This may be a less expensive way to resize your brass if that matters to you. The reason I went with the other version is so that I can use a 375 Ruger headspace gage. And if Hornady doesn't like people knowing about their secret project, they should just hurry up and get it on the market. ;D

Neal, that's good to hear. My goal was just to obtain 338 Win Mag performance from a handgun, and I think this should do it. I thought that either H4831 or H4350 would work well in this set up. I wasn't really sure what burn rate I should try, but the really slow powders just didn't make sense in the short barrel.

Andrew

358Hammer
05-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Andrew
If you do the barrel hardening process not only will you have a incredibly sharp looking blue job, you will gain another 100fps velocity or Edge velocity!

Ron is sending my three barrels to be dipped before they are returned to me. That will make 6 barrels and two actions that I have dipped. Just a thought.

Neal

yorketransport
05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Do you remember a price or much longer the wait time is when you've had the barrels dipped? I'm all for an extra 100 fps, but I'm also extremely impatient. :) I figure that my barrel is still a few weeks out and I'm fighting the urge to call and check the status. But if I just called to add to the order, I wouldn't feel so bad. Andrew

358Hammer
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
$100. week or two.

Neal

Teddington
06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey there, whats is this dipping or hardening process you folks are discussing? Cryogenics? I am getting ready to order a stainless Krieger for this project. What improves performance from this system?

Ted

358Hammer
06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Ferratic Nitride: This is the most advanced firearms finish we offer. Nitride offers exceptional wear resistance, excellent corrosion resistance and a uniform black color. This finish treats both the inside and outside of all parts of the rifle made of ferrous metal. Nitride will offer the benefits of a chrome lined bore without the disadvantages. As this finish is not a plating, but a heat treatment process, it actually changes the surface of the steel and preserves the finish characteristics (lapped finish) of the bore and can not flake off. Nitride will result in a surface hardness of nearly 70 Rockwell C scale, meaning that you can run a file across it and it will not scratch. Nitride is self-lubricating, eliminating the need to add oil to your firearm. This finish can be top-coated (with some surface prep) with DuraCoat or Film Transfer, allowing a variety of colors.

Benchrest Central has a video of the process!

Neal

yorketransport
06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
I was going to have my barrel treated, but decided not to. When I spoke with Barry at Benchmark about having my barrel treated, his response was that they are "cautious" about recommending it at this point. He said that they're just waiting for more feed back. But the feedback they've received so far has been positive. The reason I decided not to have the barrel treated right now was mostly financial. It was going to cost $200 for the treatment. Right now this 338/375 Ruger project is so far over budget that I decided to hold off on the Ferritic Nitade for now. I can always have it done later. I ended up spending more than I planned on almost every component of this build. But that's only because I went with some of the best (IMHO) parts I could find.

The good news is that when I talked to Barry at Benchmark, he said that they were doing a batch of 338 barrels this week. So it should only be a little while longer until my barrel is done! Now I just need to decide what to do for a scope. I'll either keep the Burris 3-12x that I had on the gun originally, or I try mounting a rifle scope on there. Decisions, decisions. ;D

Andrew

Hunter14
05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
could you please email me these at kmbowen@toledotel.com