PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: who owns a model 40 in K Hornet?

henry1
02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
I was going to have mine reamed and the guy thats going to ream it found some literature on benchrest about the model 40s action being a modified rimfire action and how it was unsafe for anything over normal hornet pressures. So that brings me here asking who all has had their model 40 reamed to the K. I most likely wont push my hornet any, my main goal for the K hornet is to save my brass life.
Thanks everyone.
Henry

henry1
02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Really? Nobody has one? Boots! I may be mistaken but i thought you had one? maybe this above statement is true. Im thinking if i keep normal hornet loads ream it to the k hornet, it should actually reduce pressure with a given load and the more space created by the sharper angle? Do i have it right here?

bootsmcguire
02-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes I do have one. Just saw this thread so excuse my tardiness.

I have noticed no issues with mine struggling to handle the K-Hornet. I bought mine already chambered to the K-Hornet so I have no experience with it in its 22 Hornet configuration. I say go for it, mine does fine. The only issue I have with mine is if I want the brass to last at all I must neck size only as much as possible. 22H brass is so thin and flimsy that any extra FL sizing seems to kill it noticeable faster.

I run most of my loads at a near max charge level for the 22H in the 22K-H so that way I am boosting the brass life with the lower pressures and the sharper shoulder.

I will say that once you have gone to the 22K-H chamber you must start the cartridge into the chamber with your fingers before pushing it in with the bolt due to the sharper shoulder. If you just drop it on the feed ramp the shoulder will slam into the chamber's mouth.

I need to play some more with mine as lately it has taken a back seat to some of my larger chambering projects. Mine has been showing potential with the 40gr V-Max and the 52gr SMK's. The 52's were just under MOA and the 40's were 3/4 MOA all at 100yds. I started trying H110, but found it dirty and seemed to easily spike pressures at random. So then I tried RL7 since I had some, under the 52's and it was ok, much more consistent but seemed to be noticeably slower (only going by feel as I didn't have a chrony at that time). I finally took the advice of some others members here and got some Lil' Gun and been using that since. Still need to play more with loads with the Lil' Gun but 3/4" @ 100yds is what she's been doing as of the last outing.

Hope some of this helps.

short round
02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
I have one & done the chamber myself. It likes 40 V-Max & AA1680 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. No problems with the action.