PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, may have bit off more then he can chew

coho51
02-14-2014, 04:01 AM
I'm the newb, I've been lurking here for awhile and decided that I want to re-barrel my 300 wm into a 280 Ackley improved. The 300 is a Savage Model 111 and the new barrel will be a McGowen. I've already ordered it. They needed to know what I wanted, so it ended up being a semi custom order. As I was finding out the shank size I found I have one of the smooth barrel nuts. This started a whole new search on how to remove those! Anyway after I ordered the barrel I came across a little diagram of different action sizes. Now I can't find anywhere where it tells me if the two cases will work in the same action. Anybody here able to help me on this. If I screwed up then what action size am I going need.the diagram showed that you measure the opening of the action. Mine measured 3 3/4" All this research is kind of fun and habit forming. But my first attempt might turn out to be costly. Thanks

Hotolds442
02-14-2014, 04:31 AM
Both rounds will work in your action. You will need a standard long action bolt head (.473 bolt face). Everything else should be gtg.
ETA: buy a new barrel nut preferably with ribs for your screwing pleasure, and a 280AI go gauge too.

Jetpig
02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
You are on the right track. Need a barrel vise or an action wrench to secure then use a pipe wrench to remove the smooth barrel nut and use it as a paper weight. I very easily made an action vise out of a 6 inch piece 4x4 block of hickory. It was very easy to do with a drill press, hole saw, table saw, a couple 3/4 in bolts/washers/nuts and a dremel tool. The action clamps in the block and the block clamps in a regular vise.

jonbearman
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Talk to Jim at Northland supply1-763-682-4296 he will get you headed in the right direction.