PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Stevens 44 ??

Nor Cal Mikie
02-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Anybody convert one into a "center fire"?
Just saw where the barrel on one was relined and thought it would be nice converted to center fire.
Anybody know if the action is strong enough for a 17 or 20 Fireball or 20 VT?

Sav22
02-15-2014, 09:02 PM
From the information I have on the 44 it does not sound like it is a strong enough action for any modern centerfire, but I am not familiar with the rounds you mentioned. Stevens offered a version in 22 Hornet for a very short time and reports I have heard say the action would soon loosen up. The 44 action was offered in calibers up to 32-40 but nothing of real high performance; I have not heard of any problems with those. They also offered a slightly different version in 38-55 but I do not know how well they held up either. The version for the 38-55's had a curved extension on the front of the hammer that slid into the breech block that helped hold the 'swinging' breech block up - very similar to a rolling block action.

Added - I found this that talks about the 44 action & 22 Hornet - http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1200267946/0

Nor Cal Mikie
02-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks for your input. I read something (on the same forum) about a hole being drilled in the side of the action on a 44 in case of an over pressure load. Sounds like some of the later models might be a little stronger? Still digging into this to see what I can find.
I know nothing about the early Stevens rifles but was thinking one would be fun converted to center fire if the action was strong enough.
Thanks again, Mike.