PDA

View Full Version : Fallen into a rifle build

herrwalther
02-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Hello all, I found SavageShooters while looking for information on a stock I recently picked up. My employer was discarding a rifle stock that caught my eye and, being a natural scavenger I grabbed it. It is an "Ultimate Sniper" stock designed by Major John Plaster. The inside/blind magazine well says "Savage 110" with my Google-fu telling me it is for a Savage long action. All in all it is in very good shape with only a few rust spots. It is missing a few pieces like the detachable sling point on the T rail and the rubberized butt pad, but I won't be crying about those.

I would like to build a rifle out of this stock as it feels very solid and natural but don't know where to begin. I am leaning toward either a 300 Win Mag or .308 for caliber. To the stock itself I will probably sand down the grips and repaint it. My end result would be to have a solid 300-500 meter rifle for about $1000, which should be feasible since I have the $250 stock out of the way. Uses will be hunting and target shooting.

short round
02-14-2014, 12:22 AM
It is made by Choate, they can supply parts if needed.

Hotolds442
02-14-2014, 02:33 AM
+1 on that. Nice snag btw!

herrwalther
02-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Because of my inexperience I am looking for drop in barrel and action kits to use with this stock. Does anyone know of companies that sell barrels already installed in the receiver? With or without trigger. If not I can probably do this part myself once I get the parts together if I know what to do once I have them.

bootsmcguire
02-22-2014, 08:19 PM
You will pretty much have to buy a receiver (get a donor rifle and take it apart and sell the extra parts) and then buy the barrel you want and put it together. If you don't feel up to doing it you might post your location and perhaps there is a member close to you who could help, otherwise any gunsmith worth his weight in salt should be able to install a barrel for you.