PDA

View Full Version : Painting walls.

RP12
02-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Ok, does anyone know what I have to do to get paint to stick to the walls ? I just painted my daughters room and it just picks off with no effort. I know I need to take the new paint back off, but how do I prep the walls so it doesn't happen again ? Is there a stripper or sealer or do I have to sand the walls or what ? I am so frustrated right now, I thought I was done.

BW64
02-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Depends on what kind of paint is on the walls & what kind you're putting on. If someone happened to put enamel on the walls then you try to use latex it probably won't stick. You could try a good primer first then paint. If it's over wallpaper you need to strip the paper then clean the walls then prime the paint. Hope this helps.

BW

bootsmcguire
02-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Something that has helped me in the past is to use a sanding sponge and scuff the old paint up to give the new paint a rougher surface to stick to.

palerider338
02-14-2014, 04:29 AM
What BW said ++++

1) Wash the old surface with TSP ( trisodium phosphate ) to remove old grease, dirt and /or dull an enamel finish.

OR

2) Put a coat of Bullseye 1-2-3 over the old surface then apply the top coat. Stuff isn't cheap but works great to cover and seal smoke

damaged or grungy surfaces.

Hope this helps

Stockrex
02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
rp, maybe the wall it TOO cold to paint now,
gun the wall, what temp is it at?
most of my ext wall is at around 50F