PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Savage 99R

Pages : 1 [2]

Hillbilly
02-22-2014, 08:59 PM
On the reloading side, my 250s like Reloader 15 right at max load. Have used it on several pick up loads of smallish Virginia whitetails (average dress weight 90lb) from 20 to 250 yards and finally decided Speer 100grs was the best on game bullet. Around here that EG 250 would fetch 700 to 800 easy, but people in the DC area have to much money.
That's the way it is here too,I been offered more that that for mine...I've always shot Remington 100gr pointed soft points in mine,and still have better than nine boxes because when the old Western auto closed down years ago dad bought all they had at auction,Their marked for $12 dollars a box,.I'm gonna start using it more now than I have for a long time,and will be reloading my brass as I shoot them up.Mine does good with the 100psp,and shoots nice round holes in a target,but I was considering going to a lighter bullet when I reload,because from what I've read the 99s don't like long bullets.But I'd like to stick with 100s..Which are shorter them speer,or those nosler partitions?http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/c433/250-3000/shells002_zpsa7e234ac.jpg

emtrescue6
02-22-2014, 09:13 PM
That's the way it is here too,I been offered more that that for mine...I've always shot Remington 100gr pointed soft points in mine,and still have better than nine boxes because when the old Western auto closed down years ago dad bought all they had at auction,Their marked for $12 dollars a box,.I'm gonna start using it more now than I have for a long time,and will be reloading my brass as I shoot them up.Mine does good with the 100psp,and shoots nice round holes in a target,but I was considering going to a lighter bullet when I reload,because from what I've read the 99s don't like long bullets.But I'd like to stick with 100s..Which are shorter them speer,or those nosler partitions?

Hmmmm...I don't know which is longer...I don't think I have any 100g Speers in 257 to compare to...but I can say for certain my older 99 Takedown in 250-3000 always shot the 100g Nosler Partitions pretty well....1" to 1 1/2" @ 100 yards...I am hoping to get some 100g Ballistic tips loaded up to test in this rifle soon...I just need to find my brass, I know it's in here somewhere...hahaha!

Nice pile of ammo ya got there! Certainly can't find it for $12/box now days!

Hillbilly
02-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Well it sounds like their both good bullets,so I'll probally get a box of which ever I find first .